    PS. this project will be freely availible (with source code) once I've
    'finished' it.
    , Dec 26, 2004

  2. Peter Flynn Guest

    wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I'm currently writing an XSLT Editor tool as part of a university
    > project. I would like to know what those of you that use XSLT look for
    > in an XSLT editor.
    >
    > Currently, the main features will be:
    > - Load a DTD or schema, which is shown in a tree format, so that
    > users can drag and drop desired XPaths into the .xsl text window.
    > - Drag and drop xslt keywords into the text editor window. So for
    > value-of, the following would be inserted. <xsl:value-of select=""/>.
    > Then the user can drag and drop the XPath into that tag.
    > Then theres all the old favourites: colour coded tags automatic
    > tag completion (depending on my programming skills), project files to
    > organise work and an output viewer.

    Emacs xsl-ide mode already has about 90% of this, without the drag-and-drop.
    For speed, you might consider taking that as your basis, and adding the
    D'n'D features to it.

    Much more interesting would be a purely graphical constructor, which would
    allow the user to define areas in a typographic window and specify the
    source and manipulation of the information which was to go into them. Have
    a look at the paper on VXT from the 2001 ACM DocEng Symposium
    http://www.pms.ifi.lmu.de/publikati...:A Visual Approach to XML Transformations.pdf

    > Is there anything specifically related to XSLT, that anyone has found
    > would be useful in an XSLT editor.

    XSLT2 answered most of my requirements. The only others are personal gripes
    about a few small things I think should have been done differently.

    > PS. this project will be freely availible (with source code) once I've
    > 'finished' it.

    Excellent. Can I enter a plea that it should be cross-platform?

    ///Peter
    Peter Flynn, Dec 31, 2004

    Hey, yeah the finished product will be written in Java so it will be
    cross-platform.Cheers for the input.
    Dave
    , Jan 3, 2005