XSLT + XML - design thoughts

Colin Basterfield

Hi,

I have a web form which is a weekly summary display and is XSLT based and
has XML data transformed into it, so it ends up with a table with 7 rows,
one per day, and three columns, Day|TotalDate|Total. Each row in the latter
column is clickable to provide a breakdown of that total on a new XSLT/XML
page.

My dilemma is that in order to get the first form the User must select from
drop down lists:

1. Site Name
2. Year
3. Week Ending date

3 is dependent on 2 as once the year is selected then all the week ending
dates for that year should appear in 3, this seems a good way of limiting
the weeks in 3 to one years worth. Once these have all been selected then
the XSLT|XML form will be rendered to screen.

My XSLT/XML and to an extent my ASP.NET is rather 'amateurish' (IMHO) at
present, though it seems a baptism by fire is in progress :)

I wondered if it were best to have the three drop down lists on a normal web
form, i.e. non XSLT/XML form, so that it can be more interactive given the
conditions stated above, and then just drive it using a Submit button to get
the summary page which is really just a display with some links on.

I would be interested to hear peoples opinions on this one.

Many thanks
Colin B