Yet another comparison of Python Web Frameworks

Massimo Di Pierro

Hello everybody,

I just joined this mailing list. Thanks for your comments about gluon.

I have posted a short video about it and I am planning to make more
over the week-end.

About some of your comments:
- the most complex modules (like html and sql ones) have doctests.
- the executable versions (win and mac) come with python2.5. Running
from source code does not require 2.5 but you probably want sqlite3.
- so far I support sqlite3 and postgresql, not mysql (just because I
do not use it and had no time for testing it).
- yes, there are typos in the documentation. Please point them out to
me so that I can fix them.
- I am sure there are some minor bugs I am not aware of but as far I
tested, it work.
- If you report bugs to me I promise to fix them in 48hrs.
- please make sure you have the latest version.

I very much appreciate comments about gluon (good and bad). Please
send me more so that I can improve it.

There will be two talks in chicago about gluon next week: at DePaul
Linux Users Group on Thursday evening and at the Chicago Linux Users
Group on Saturday afternoon. I will try record them and post them.

Massimo

P.S. Michele Simionato. I have heard your name before? Is it possible
we have met in Pisa in 1990-1996? I am also a Quantum Field Theorist
and there is not many of us.

Michele Simionato

P.S. Michele Simionato. I have heard your name before? Is it possible
we have met in Pisa in 1990-1996? I am also a Quantum Field Theorist
and there is not many of us.

That is definitely possible, even if I don't remember your name
right know. But let us keep this off list ;)

Michele Simionato

Kay Schluehr

[...]

Massimo, it's just a style matter but could you please unmix tabs and
blanks in Gluon?

Since Gluon is pure Python I can try backtranslating the Python 2.5
code to Python 2.4. This requires following tool of mine:

http://www.fiber-space.de/EasyExtend/doc/Py25Lite/Py25Lite.html

The Python 2.4 source code can then be used by people like Michele who
have 2.4 lecagies. Note that the conversion process is fully automated
( it requires just a little conversion script targetting Gluon ) and
can be reiterated. The conversion however needs tests to be confirmed.
It would also be a nice little project for Py25Lite in the real-world.

Kay

Massimo Di Pierro

I have posted a new version of Gluon and some slides. I am hoping to
have a draft manual soon.
I believe I have fixed all of the issues that have been addressed
but, if not, please let me know.

Massimo
Did you try gluon? http://mdp.cti.depaul.edu/examples