Yet another problem with Netscape

Will Spencer

With a little work it could become a quite good example of a three column
layout, better in fact than many found via google.

RF:

What would you say is the best "standard" for a 3 column layout to use as
a template for a new site?

rf

Will Spencer wrote
RF:

What would you say is the best "standard" for a 3 column layout to use as
a template for a new site?

What sort of 3 column layout do you want?

http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/arondelle/ is for columns that adjust to the
width of the canvas. This is good for content but bad for such things as
navigation bars.

Make sure the widths don't add up to more than about 98% or you will get
this:

http://glish.com/css/2.asp Pick up your browser border and move it around,
changing the width of the canvas. The right div sometimes falls below the
other two. It is sad that this is the second hit in google (see below).

Navigation should IMHO use ems for width, not % or px. A way to do it then
is to float: left the left one, float: right the right one and not float the
middle one, just give it margins. This is what the OP's has now.

There is sometimes a problem with IE and float right. Some examples will
tell you to absolutely position the right hand bit. There are also various
hacks in vogue. Some of these are legitimate. Some of them are cargo cult.
My philosophy is to use the simplest design that will work for the browsers
you choose to support and test it in those browsers. Don't include such
things as NN4.x, just hide the whole lot from it.

Of course there are variations. It *really* depends on the effect desired.

Go over to google and ask for
three column css layout

There are about 32000 hits. Some of them are good. Some of them are bad.
Some are very bad. Read through a few of them. After a while a pattern will
develop, do this, don't do that. You will learn to pick, at a glance, the
bad ones. Whatever you decide, KISS :)

rf

rf said:
Navigation should IMHO use ems for width, not % or px. A way to do it then
is to float: left the left one, float: right the right one and not float the
middle one, just give it margins. This is what the OP's has now.

Wait a minute... you *are* the OP.

I just had another look at your site. This time I actually read the content.

<q>
The principles that made the United States of America the greatest country
on the face of the earth
</q>

I *was* going to build you some sort of mock up but I don't think I will
now.

<mutters to self...>