100% height container

BootNic

Neredbojias said:

I took the liberty of removing your javascript from the page in the
link in order to prevent confusion.

Now, in this first link of mine:

http://www.neredbojias.com/zyxix/bootnic1.html

which is simply a trimmed-down but equivalent version of your page,
the content is no longer horizontally-centered when the scrollbar
appears in ie6. That is the problem, it occurs in your original, and
it's hardly trivial. I use a similar template for images, almost all
the images on my site, and placement is quite important in regard to
aesthetics.

margin-left:15% is not truly the same as margin-left:auto;
In this second link:

http://www.neredbojias.com/zyxix/bootnic2.html

that issue is resolved by the insertion of the 3 lines at top. It's
an elementary "fix" but does involve the use of a quirk's-mode
doctype.

I think margin:auto; will produce the effect you wish, which if I recall
correctly, does not work in quirks mode.
The third link:

http://www.neredbojias.com/zyxix/bootnic3.html

is the same as the second with a "rube-goldberg" javascript patch for
a bug in Opera. Hopefully, someday Opera will fix that.

It took a little while to find this in my notes, but I believe there is a
way to make opera behave without the need for JavaScript.

http://home.earthlink.net/~bootnic/neredbojias0.html

Please share any issues you find.

Neredbojias

I think margin:auto; will produce the effect you wish, which if I recall
correctly, does not work in quirks mode.
The third link:

http://www.neredbojias.com/zyxix/bootnic3.html

is the same as the second with a "rube-goldberg" javascript patch for
a bug in Opera. Hopefully, someday Opera will fix that.

It took a little while to find this in my notes, but I believe there is a
way to make opera behave without the need for JavaScript.

http://home.earthlink.net/~bootnic/neredbojias0.html

Please share any issues you find.

Yeah, what a great fix for Opera! I might add that whoever came up with
that css is a bit smarter than me... However, I might also add that the
necessity for such tactics is rather depressing.

As for the scrollbar issue, after viewing your example I adjusted my
original page accordingly and, viola, it worked. This surprised me because
I'm sure a problem existed when I originally constructed it, something over
a year ago. Maybe there was a pertinent ie6 update and/or I vaguely
remember having trouble with the actually redundant overscroll:auto; in
earlier versions of Mozilla/Firefox. Whatever, it seems to work now, so I
implimented it online and found no anomalies with the "big three".

Incidentally, thanks for sharing your knowledge. It surely helped me build
a better page, which, after all, is why we really are here in the first
place. (...It was also beneficial in reminding me that I don't know
everything, something I tend to forget occasionally.)

BootNic

Neredbojias said:
[email protected]
On Sun, 13 May 2007 04:50:19 GMT BootNic scribed:
[snip]

Yeah, what a great fix for Opera!

[snip]

The opera fix seems to produce an undesirable effect in Safari. Since
I do not have access to Safari other then through browsershots.org, I
have no way to test it.

That does not prevent me from suggesting a possible solution. Perhaps
someone with Safari will be kind enough to provide some feedback.

/*
change the :before to :after
*/
html:first-child #mytable:after {
bottom: 0;
content: "\00200B";
left: 0;
position: fixed;
top: 0;
z-index: -1;
}
/*
use css3 last-child to not display the opera fix
*/
html:first-child #mytable:last-child:after {
display:none;
}

http://home.earthlink.net/~bootnic/Safari.html

Neredbojias

[email protected]
On Sun, 13 May 2007 04:50:19 GMT BootNic scribed:
[snip]

Aha!! I found the ie6 bug!

If an image (-and presumably a container) exceeds the width of the viewport
while coincidentally exceeding the height of the viewport minus a small
amount sometimes (?), a second, inner vertical scrollbar appears (i.e., on
the body.) I don't think this happens with a quirks-mode doctype (-will
verify later) and was certainly the problem I discovered in the past. It
also doesn't seem to happen in ie7.

Example url:
http://www.neredbojias.com/phutu.php?sam=delta/_gain/golm.jpg&tia=test
The opera fix seems to produce an undesirable effect in Safari. Since
I do not have access to Safari other then through browsershots.org, I
have no way to test it.

Neither do I, but it troubles me little. I figure I've done a bang-up job
just to get things working in "the big three" (-incl. ie6.)

BootNic

Neredbojias said:
[email protected]

Aha!! I found the ie6 bug!

If an image (-and presumably a container) exceeds the width of the
viewport while coincidentally exceeding the height of the viewport
minus a small amount sometimes (?), a second, inner vertical
scrollbar appears (i.e., on the body.) I don't think this happens
with a quirks-mode doctype (-will verify later) and was certainly the
problem I discovered in the past. It also doesn't seem to happen in
ie7.

Example url:
http://www.neredbojias.com/phutu.php?sam=delta/_gain/golm.jpg&tia=test
[snip]

Interesting this is. While it looks like it is possible to adjust the css for
IE 6 to view this example without the extra scrollbar in standard mode,
it also looks like a worthless effort to try to make a "template" that
will work with any and all content.

First suggestion would be to not hide the scrollbar at all, which would
not trigger it. Avoid the issue and not attempt to resolve it.

I suppose the next method would be to trigger quirks mode.

Anything more then this is much more effort then I am willing to put
forth to resolve it.

--
BootNic Thursday, May 17, 2007 10:34 AM

When men are pure, laws are useless; when men are corrupt, laws are
broken.
*Benjamin Disraeli*

Neredbojias

If an image (-and presumably a container) exceeds the width of the
viewport while coincidentally exceeding the height of the viewport
minus a small amount sometimes (?), a second, inner vertical
scrollbar appears (i.e., on the body.) I don't think this happens
with a quirks-mode doctype (-will verify later) and was certainly the
problem I discovered in the past. It also doesn't seem to happen in
ie7.

Example url:
http://www.neredbojias.com/phutu.php?sam=delta/_gain/golm.jpg&tia=test
[snip]

Interesting this is. While it looks like it is possible to adjust the
css for IE 6 to view this example without the extra scrollbar in
standard mode, it also looks like a worthless effort to try to make a
"template" that will work with any and all content.

I agree. Earlier in my personal "web-page making progression" I had an
ie6-specific version, but it just wasn't worth it or "cool" to
redirect/whatever.
First suggestion would be to not hide the scrollbar at all, which
would not trigger it. Avoid the issue and not attempt to resolve it.

Not an option (for me). I understand the "web-page vs. book-page"
philosophy and all that, but the scrollbar is where I draw the line.
I suppose the next method would be to trigger quirks mode.

Anything more then this is much more effort then I am willing to put
forth to resolve it.

Well, it's easy enough to do with php/server-side, but I think I am going
to leave the template just as it is now. How many images normally exceed
the viewport in both dimensions, anyway, and ie6, while it will
undoubtedly fester for awhile, is definitely in attrition. Furthermore,
it really aggravates me to have to code-around browser screw-ups.