101VB Samples

Jerome

Hi,
Has anyone ever been able to get the samples from Microsoft (101 VB samples)
to work?
I wanted to try the "CreatingMasterDetails" and this is what i get from the
start:

Invalid column name 'DepartmentID'.
Invalid column name 'BaseRate'.

PLUS....
My AdventureWorks database is corrupt!! No way to open it anymore;
it has blown up to about twice the original size;
sqlserver (sqlserverExpress2005) refuse to detach with the comment "Cannot
find adventureworks.mdf";
there are now 3 log files;
no more tables in the database are accessible;

Deinstalling the adventureworks database from within add/remove programs is
impossible: "File not found" !!??

The original conn.string from MS:
Data
Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename=\AdventureWorks_Data.mdf;Integrated
Security=True;User Instance=True

After brute force in removing and reinstalling the dB i changed the
conn.string to:
Data Source=.\sqlexpress;Initial Catalog=C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\AdventureWorks;Integrated Security=True

and this time the database remains intact but the runtime error about the
coluimns remain

I tried with some other (disposable :)) mdf files and it seems that when
selecting "Microsoft SQL Server Database File (SqlClient)" as source this
corruption ALWAYS happens
When selecting "Microsoft SQL Server (SqlClient)" everything seems to work
ok

Any ideas somebody?

Config :
VS 2005 Pro
Sqlserver Express 2005
Framework 1.0, 1.1, 2.0

Thanks in advance for suggestions

Jerome

Cor Ligthert [MVP]

Jerome,

From the database samples in VB 101 samples for 2005 is I gues about 70% not
working.

It wants the SQLExpress Beta database. You should be a fool to install that.

I have reported that.

The rest from the samples are mostly nice and some Data Samples as well.

I hope this gives an idea.

Cor

Jerome

Thanks Cor, that explains a lot.

Just still one thing that bothers me is the corruption of the db when using
"Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename=\.......User Instance=True"
This does not happen with "Data Source=.\sqlexpress;Initial Catalog=....."
Is this also a remaining of the 'Beta' version?

Regards
Jerome

Cor Ligthert [MVP]

Jerome,

The part is the AttachDBFile name, you can use SQLExpress as let say Jet.
Those files are in the samples, however Beta versions.

Cor

Jerome

Aha!
Good to know.
At least i will check the connection string the next time i see a sample
from MS

Thanks for the clarrification
Jerome

Ken Halter

Jerome said:
Hi,
Has anyone ever been able to get the samples from Microsoft (101 VB
samples) to work?

AH HA! So.... it's NOT just me! Thanks for sharing your pain Jerome! I was
starting to think I was going nuts. :)

Jerome

Join the club Ken :)
I wonder if they ever tested it at MS. If some providers don't work, why not
leaving them out. One Sqlconnection is suffiecient, or not?
Long live VB6 !
I needed 3 days to find out that that stupid conn string ruined every time
my database.
Anyway, i'll be cautious when openening a sample from MS

Jerome