79 chars or more?

Roy Smith

Steven D'Aprano said:
Of course source code is written in a monospaced typeface, which is a
little wider and consequently fewer characters per page.

There was a fling a while ago with typesetting code in proportional
spaced type. I think some of the "Effective C++" series from
Addison-Wesley did that. Yuck.

Neil Cerutti

There was a fling a while ago with typesetting code in
proportional spaced type. I think some of the "Effective C++"
series from Addison-Wesley did that. Yuck.

It's probably influenced by The C++ Programming Language.
Stroustrup likes it.

Gregory Ewing

Roy said:
There was a fling a while ago with typesetting code in proportional
spaced type. I think some of the "Effective C++" series from
Addison-Wesley did that. Yuck.

I don't think proportional spacing is necessarily a
problem, as long as a font is used that makes all
characters clearly distinguishible. Unfortunately,
most of the widely-used sans-serif proportional
fonts fail to do this.

MRAB

Gregory said:
I don't think proportional spacing is necessarily a
problem, as long as a font is used that makes all
characters clearly distinguishible. Unfortunately,
most of the widely-used sans-serif proportional
fonts fail to do this.
I don't think proportional spacing is necessarily a problem, as long all
the characters are the same width. :)

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Jean-Michel said:
Because some(many ?) people cannot deal with more than 80 chars,
otherwise this rule would be pointless.

So you assume the rule cannot be pointless?