_vti_cnf and other folders

Mike

Hi,

In my ASP.NET application's folder, I noticed that there are some system/IIS folders that are automatically created:

--> _vti_cnf
--> _vti_pvt
--> _vti_script
--> _vti_txt

I inherited this application, and by looking into the aforementioned folders, I noticed that "_vti_cnf" contains several of the files and subfolders (.aspx, .htm, etc.) that are also used in the project's folder itself. Some seem to be old versions of the current files used in the project. Is that normal? What should the above folders normally contain? Is a developer supposed to use them at all?

Thanks.
Mike

Bryant Hankins

These folders are normal. They are used with by Front Page Extensions which are currently required for ASP.NET (this requirement is removed in ASP.NET 2.0). I generally just ignore them. The system manages those folders.

--
Hope this helps,
Bryant Hankins