A Queue implementation of doubly linked list in C

Richard Bos

well? Why do you sometime stest for queue validity in some places and
not in others? The point is asking if the queue is empty when IT
ISN'T A QUEUE is meaningless. There is allegedly a japanese word "mu" which
is the answer given to a question that the answerer believes to be
ill- formed.

There is allegedly one single book responsible for that myth. Otherwise,
it is very much worth reading, but don't be sure that everything you
read in GEB about zen is how the Japanese understand zen.
if it's a valid queue then return true if is empty and false if it not
empty.

And if it's not a valid queue?

(I have my own opinions about the right solution, but I'd like a
_reasoned_ proposal from arnuld before I state them.)

De maan likt niet hoog The moon doesn't look high

I've never seen the moon lick anything.
Of niet sams? Or is it?

Neither have I seen it publish books.

Richard

Guest

well? Why do you [] test for queue validity in some places and
not in others? The point is, asking if the queue is empty when IT
ISN'T A QUEUE is meaningless. There is allegedly a japanese word "mu" which
is the answer given to a question that the answerer believes to be
ill- formed.

There is allegedly one single book responsible for that myth.

I was pretty sure it was a myth (I think the Jargon File says so)
but it is, nevertheless, a useful concept!
Otherwise,
it is very much worth reading, but don't be sure that everything you
read in GEB about zen is how the Japanese understand zen.

And if it's not a valid queue?

Which was rather my point...
Undefined Behaviour. Which is why I'd shove an assert() in.
(I have my own opinions about the right solution, but I'd like a
_reasoned_ proposal from arnuld before I state them.)

I've never seen the moon lick anything.

Neither have I seen it publish books.

the author is a native Dutch speaker. It has been tranliterated
once by a non-native speaker and twice by non-Dutch speakers.
So I suppose it's surprising anything sensible remained!

--
Nick Keighley

"Een schip op het strand is een baken in zee.
[A ship on the beach is a lighthouse to the sea.]"
- Dutch Proverb

Richard Bos

Which was rather my point...

Yeah... but _my point was...

....this. Let _him_ consider it.

(Also, I partly disagree with your decision, but _first_ let arnuld give
a reasoned answer.)
the author is a native Dutch speaker. It has been tranliterated
once by a non-native speaker and twice by non-Dutch speakers.
So I suppose it's surprising anything sensible remained!

Grammatically, it should be "lijkt" ("seems"), not "likt" ("licks"); and
"soms" (lit. "sometimes", but in this context, idiomatically, "isn't
it?"), not "sams" (means nothing whatsoever). Even then it is still
doggerel of the worst kind.
"Een schip op het strand is een baken in zee.
[A ship on the beach is a lighthouse to the sea.]"
- Dutch Proverb

Also, "beacon", not "lighthouse". The intent is that of a dire warning
_after_ the fact, not of an intentionally prepared safety feature. A
lighthouse would be "vuurtoren".

Richard

Guest

Grammatically, it should be "lijkt" ("seems"), not "likt" ("licks"); and
"soms" (lit. "sometimes", but in this context, idiomatically, "isn't
it?"), not "sams" (means nothing whatsoever). Even then it is still
doggerel of the worst kind.

The author was about 7
"Een schip op het strand is een baken in zee.
[A ship on the beach is a lighthouse to the sea.]"
- Dutch Proverb

Also, "beacon", not "lighthouse". The intent is that of a dire warning
_after_ the fact, not of an intentionally prepared safety feature. A
lighthouse would be "vuurtoren".

"The Mythical Man-Month" has it how I quoted it.

Richard Bos

The author was about 7

That would certainly explain the form; I'd still correct the spelling.
"Een schip op het strand is een baken in zee.
[A ship on the beach is a lighthouse to the sea.]"
- Dutch Proverb

Also, "beacon", not "lighthouse". The intent is that of a dire warning
_after_ the fact, not of an intentionally prepared safety feature. A
lighthouse would be "vuurtoren".

"The Mythical Man-Month" has it how I quoted it.

I disagree with their translation, then.

Richard