A tool for reverse engineer C++ code.

Alchemist

Hi friends,

I am not sure whether this topic is relevant in this list. If not
sorry for the SPAM :(.

I am new to this list. Currently I am studying C++ language and
Networking Protocols. In order to get a real feel of both I was going
through YATE(http://yate.null.ro/pmwiki/) code. But I could not find a
source browser like Vi+ctags+cscope for C in C++. Some where in
Internet people are saying we can use cscope for C++, same time people
are saying it is not complete.

After a long search I got eclipse CDT IDE, so I am using it in Debian
Linux. But it has no facility to reverse engineer C++ code (generating
class diagram). There are two tools which we can integrate with
eclipse CDT IDE, but both are commercial (I am not in a position to
buy these), IBM Rational Systems Developer(http://www.ibm.com/
developerworks/downloads/r/rsd/?S_TACT=105AGX15&S_CMP=DLMAIN) and
Visual Paradigm SDE for eclipse(http://www.visual-paradigm.com/product/
sde/ec/).

What I need is generating class diagram from source code (reverse
engineer).
Is there any open source tools like this?
How difficult it is to create a open source tool like this?
( I know at my knowledge level it is not possible :) and I feel it
will be a large project by looking at the size of currently available
commercial tools like IBM (512MB) and Visual Paradigm (122MB)).

Thanks in advance,
Nobin Mathew.

Erik Wikström

[...]

Check out doxygen, it should be able to do most of what you want.