Access is denied error - tried some fixes

Edward

ASP.NET on VS2003.

I have been developing the application for some months, and delivering
incremental releases in the form of new DLLs (for code changes), or
new .aspx pages for client changes.

Yesterday I sent the client a new DLL and an aspx page. This morning
I have had them complaining bitterly because they are getting "Access
is denied" errors.

The specifics are:

machine.config file:

This line is highlighted
<add assembly="*"/>

and lower on the page

"LOG: Policy not being applied to reference at this time"

I can't cut and paste the rest of the error message because this is
all the client sent me.

My clients have reverted to the backup taken prior to the new code and
all works fine. What can I do to apply the new code without causing
this problem?

Many thanks

Edward

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

I've seen that error when I copied a new DLL without stopping the Web
server.

If someone hits the site while the file is being copied in, things can get
out of whack because the wrong DLL is locked in memory. I had to reboot
(ouch) to stabilize the system.