Access to cookies in IE vs FF?

Steve

Hi;

I'm hoping to get some insight into how access to cookies is managed
in IE versus in Firefox.

I have a JSP application that writes data to a cookie if the user
presses a button. Pressing the button will also cause an HTML page
to pop-up, read the cookie and insert the data from it into the HTML
page via the DOM and javascript.

If I save the HTML as a complete web page in Firefox 3.*, I can bring
it back up and still have the dynamic data there.

If I do the same in IE 6 or IE 7, the data will not be populated.

Interestingly, if I point IE to the page saved via Firefox, the data
does appear on the page. So, I am thinking that IE and Firefox
saves the cookie to a different place and/or manages access to the
cookie files differently.

The folders produce by IE and Firefox when saving as a "complete HTML"
have exactly the same files in it. Just a jpg that is on the HTML.

Any ideas on what this is about or for a work around?

Thanks much in advance

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Steve said:
I'm hoping to get some insight into how access to cookies is managed
in IE versus in Firefox.

Wrong newsgroup, especially as you don't write the cookie with scripting.
I have a JSP application that writes data to a cookie if the user
presses a button.

JSP is JavaServer Pages, not JavaScript Pages.
If I save the HTML as a complete web page in Firefox 3.*, I can bring
it back up and still have the dynamic data there.

If I do the same in IE 6 or IE 7, the data will not be populated.
[...]
Any ideas on what this is about

IE != Firefox.
or for a work around?

You know the answer already.

PointedEars

Steve

Wrong newsgroup, especially as you don't write the cookie with scripting.

Not true, here is a snippet from the javascript code we are using to
write the cookie:

document.cookie = name + "=" + value + expires + "; path=/";

JSP is JavaServer Pages, not JavaScript Pages.

The cookie is written and retrieved with javascript from an HTML page.

You know the answer already.

Yes, you are some bored schmuck who actually doesn't know anything in
regards to my question, but who is happy to pass his time to parse my
post in such way to give you an excuse to mouth off.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Steve wrote/zu Deiner Priorität-Alpha-1-Nachricht von Sternzeit 04.12.2008
22:27:
Not true, here is a snippet from the javascript code we are using to
write the cookie:

document.cookie = name + "=" + value + expires + "; path=/";

The cookie is written and retrieved with javascript from an HTML page.

Yes, you are some bored schmuck who actually doesn't know anything in
regards to my question, but who is happy to pass his time to parse my
post in such way to give you an excuse to mouth off.

That was a mistake.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Steve said:
Yes, you are some bored schmuck who actually doesn't know anything in
regards to my question, but who is happy to pass his time to parse my
post in such way to give you an excuse to mouth off.

Wrong answer.

PointedEars

David Mark

It is without doubt the correct answer. There is absolutely no useful
information in your reply, as is often the case.

No, it is the wrong answer. You are the "schmuck" and are frustrated
you didn't get an instant solution. Rather than asking for
clarification, you have now insulted the only person who showed any
interest in your problem. Perhaps you salvaged a bit of ego, but you
are just as lost as before.

We see this almost daily here, but at least most of the questions are
related to Javascript. The answer you got was typically blunt, but
your question was off-topic. Try another group or take my advice and
forget the whole thing (the browser will save the page(s) any way it
likes.)

Gregor Kofler

Steve meinte:
Actually I am not the OP.

And one is supposed to search for clues which Steve is which? Ah, the
virtue of generic alias names...

Gregor

David Mark

Actually I am not the OP.

No? Then what are you bitching about?
Why was the OP's question off-topic? He made a mistake in his original

It wouldn't be on-topic anywhere other than a browser support forum.
And I answered his question about it anyway.

[snip]