Adding a "Select" option to a databound dropdown

Simon Harvey

Hi all,

I have to use drop downs in a number of places in my applications. These
drop downs are databound but I can't seem to see how to add a new item (eg
"Select" or something like that) to the beginning of the drop down.

I obviously dont want to have to put dodgy data like that in the database
but I'm sure there is an easier solution.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks

Simo

Guest

Simon,
There are other ways, but what I usually do is just before setting the
datasource, I add a DataRow with "Please Select" using DataTable.Rows.InsertAt
Usually I cache stuff like this anyway so it only needs to be done once.
Peter

Christopher Reed

Try this:

DropDownList1.Items.Insert(0, "Select <something>");

You can also create a ListItem object and pass that in place of the string.