Alternatives to splash pages???

Jim Comfort

I'm trying to figure out an alternative to splash pages, and I thought I
remembered my html instructor mention a way to add an image to the top of
the main page, I believe in the header, to make the photo display for a few
seconds, then load the main page. Is this do-able? I'd like to use a
photo with some text saying "welcome...come on in" then see my index.html
file load without compromising search engine integrity on my web site.

Fred

I'm trying to figure out an alternative to splash pages, and I thought I
remembered my html instructor mention a way to add an image to the top of
the main page, I believe in the header, to make the photo display for a few
seconds, then load the main page. Is this do-able? I'd like to use a
photo with some text saying "welcome...come on in" then see my index.html
file load without compromising search engine integrity on my web site.

The word "Splash Page" died with the word "Webmaster" and "Page
Counter"

If you want your site to look cool then I suggest you take a look at
whats selling here.

http://www.templatemonster.com/

Jim Moe

Jim said:
I'm trying to figure out an alternative to splash pages, [...]
Your index (home) page.
[...] to make the photo display for a few
seconds, then load the main page. Is this do-able?
Yes, it is one of the <meta ...> tags.
But why would you want to? Splash pages are useless fluff, an
unnecessary layer of isolation from your real content.

Jim Comfort

Jim Moe wrote:

<< But why would you want to? Splash pages are useless fluff, an unnecessary
layer of isolation from your real content.>>

The person I'm setting this up for really wants a specific picture on the
page, along with his company name, as he put it, "really big". My thinking
is that if I can do a picture displaying for a few seconds in the index.html
file, then the banner with his pic won't take up 2/3 of the page.

In my html class, admittedly a few years back, I seem to remember the
instructor mentioning a way to do it inside the <head> tag in your
index.html file, but whether it was with a <div> or javascript, or CSS I
can't recall.

I'm trying to appease the owner of the site, that's why I can't rule out a
splash page.

Neo Geshel

Jim said:
I'm trying to figure out an alternative to splash pages, and I thought I
remembered my html instructor mention a way to add an image to the top of
the main page, I believe in the header, to make the photo display for a few
seconds, then load the main page. Is this do-able? I'd like to use a
photo with some text saying "welcome...come on in" then see my index.html
file load without compromising search engine integrity on my web site.

What might work better is a full-screen layout that is *very* quick-loading.

Have a very fast-loading (<10kb) “splash screen†in a layer that floats
above everything else, and covers the entire screen. Make sure that the
formatting is completely CSS-based, and that the CSS is inline (so
external CSS files don’t have to be loaded just for it).

Since it would exist directly after the body element (warning: this
promotes poor semantics and poor page structure), it loads first. Since
it loads first and loads fast, people see it fast.

Then, once the page has loaded, Javascript (called by the page.onload,
and perhaps with an x-second delay added) causes that top layer to fade
away, revealing your proper site beneath.

Benefits:
• Small (<10kb) splash screen provides almost instant gratification
for those people who always wonder “is it *really* loading, or...?â€.
• Full-screen layout prevents people from being distracted by the rest
of the page loading in (and clicking on something that isn’t ready to be
clicked on yet).
• Javascript delay between page.onload and fade gives visitors on very
fast connections at least a few seconds to view the splash screen before
it fades.

Drawbacks:
• Javascript-based fade. If JS is turned off, splash screen will not
fade, forever hiding your site’s front page behind it.
• Most cellphones do not have JS, many handhelds don’t either.
• A slow loading site may also cause the splash screen to stay up for
a very long time (since the JS fade is called by the page.onload). Best
to have an on-splash-screen “page loading in background†caption, sotto
voice).
• This kind of a splash screen promotes poor semantics and poor page
structure. Ideally, the first major semantic element (aside from div)
after the body element *should* be an h1 element holding the title of
the page, not some splash screen doohickey.

I hope this helps.
...Geshel
My return e-mail address is an automatically monitored spam honeypot.
Do not send e-mail there unless you wish to be reported as a spammer.
Please send all e-mail to my first name at my last name dot org, with
a subject-line of “NEWSGROUP REPLY FOR NEO GESHEL†(all uppercase).

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit Jim Comfort:
Jim Moe wrote:

<< But why would you want to? Splash pages are useless fluff, an
unnecessary layer of isolation from your real content.>>

The person I'm setting this up for really wants a specific picture on
the page, along with his company name, as he put it, "really big".

Do does he pay you well? If not, why are you doing this? Sorry for asking -
maybe he's pointing a gun at you, or maybe you're secretly hired by his
competitor.
My thinking is that if I can do a picture displaying for a few
seconds in the index.html file, then the banner with his pic won't
take up 2/3 of the page.

Who cares?
In my html class, admittedly a few years back, I seem to remember the
instructor mentioning a way to do it inside the <head> tag in your
index.html file, but whether it was with a <div> or javascript, or
CSS I can't recall.

Fine. It's part of the survival strategy of our mind to forget things that
need not be remembered.
I'm trying to appease the owner of the site, that's why I can't rule
out a splash page.

Why are you trying to appease him, and why does this make you try to avoid
doing what he wants and create some other foolishness instead?

Neredbojias

Jim Moe wrote:

<< But why would you want to? Splash pages are useless fluff, an
unnecessary layer of isolation from your real content.>>

The person I'm setting this up for really wants a specific picture on
the page, along with his company name, as he put it, "really big". My
thinking is that if I can do a picture displaying for a few seconds in
the index.html file, then the banner with his pic won't take up 2/3 of
the page.

In my html class, admittedly a few years back, I seem to remember the
instructor mentioning a way to do it inside the <head> tag in your
index.html file, but whether it was with a <div> or javascript, or CSS
I can't recall.

I'm trying to appease the owner of the site, that's why I can't rule
out a splash page.

If there's enough space between the other junk, why not do a muted, thin
opacity, low-contrast background image? I think most web page concoctions
could be so-designed.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jim said:
My thinking is that if I can do a picture displaying for a few seconds
in the index.html file, then ...

Remember, this will effectively break the Back button, as visitors try
to navigate around the site. They click Back, go to 'index.html' and are
immediately whisked forward again.

Bergamot

Neo said:
Have a very fast-loading (<10kb) “splash screen†in a layer that floats
above everything else, and covers the entire screen.

Perhaps you didn't read the OP's other post about showing a "really big"
picture here. It is unlikely that would fit in less than 10kb.
Then, once the page has loaded, Javascript (called by the page.onload,
and perhaps with an x-second delay added) causes that top layer to fade
away, revealing your proper site beneath.

Sounds like one of those awful IE page transition things.