Am I dreaming

Joined
May 7, 2021
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi to all, I am looking to change occupations and almost signed straight up for a UWA coding bootcamp.

Knowing exactly zero about coding other than the history of coding I was surprised that I could gain entry to a intense 26 week coding course. entry =13k - knowledge.

I can solve problems and I can be disciplined and at 50 know I can wake up early and try hard to be at work and do my best, my question to the forum is: discounting bootcamps ran by Trilogy under the banner of reputable Unis what advice could you give me for self learning, the sources of , and what realistic measurement of mathematical understanding or plain aptitude is a minimum for even attempting to get involved in this area.

Ad

Joined
Nov 13, 2020
Messages
72
Reaction score
13
I am a retired American and know little about the hiring practices in Australia; I did look up some things up on google. Programmers are the 11th most sought after job and Python is the most sought after language. Python is used for data collection -> statistics. That sounds extremely boring to me so I wouldn't spend 13K to sit around and do something akin to accounting. What I'd suggest would be to ask someone in HR at different companies what they're looking for and if you had a chance to be hired by them at fifty before committing yourself to such high expense.
I do not think boot camps are great at teaching someone with no back ground in the field. I think they are better at adding to a skill set. I'd use the internet to self teach the basics. Python is a good language to start with.
Some sites from google (No recommendation from me):
  • CodeCademy. It's interactive learning
  • Google's Python Class. ...
  • Microsoft's Free Python Course. ...
  • Coursera.

Joined
May 7, 2021
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Really appreciate your reply. Its slightly different in Australia than the US as you have 400million and we have 25million in a country that is very slightly bigger. so the phrase "skills shortage" gets thrown about a lot and its more a case of bums on seats.

TBH the thought of sitting in front of a computer isn't that appealing, unfortunately with lyme disease and other physical issues i have given up on really working (been working at heights for years) and need to be useful from this sitting position...

Sound advice and I will try another type of intro into learning a code and see if its within my capabilities.

Ad