    iterator?

    More related to java, what's a dimension and how does it take the
    size() method?

    Albert, Jan 18, 2008

  2. A Dimension is has a width and a height. In your applet example the
    size() method gives the dimension of the entire applet, i.e. width=500
    and height=50. You should look into the HTML code of Example4Applet.html
    to see how it comes to exactly these width and heigth.

    You can look into the Java documentation at
    <http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/>,
    especially the links given there to "Dimension", "Math", and "Graphics".
    From there you will find the explanations of every single function,
    like "sin" (on the "Math" page) and "size" (on the "Dimension" page).

    Thomas Fritsch, Jan 18, 2008

  3. --little correction--:
    .... "width" and "height" (on the "Dimension" page), "size" (on the
    "Applet" page).

    Thomas Fritsch, Jan 18, 2008
  4. Albert

    Albert Guest

    I understand what the function is, I can look that up in any maths
    book but I don't understand how the developer is using it.

    Albert, Jan 18, 2008
  5. [I don't know your current knowledge-level of Java or ComputerScience in
    general. Therefore some of the hints below may or may not seem trivial
    to you.]

    Some facts to know beforehand:
    (*) In Java the origin (x=0,y=0) is in top-left corner.
    x runs to the right, y runs to the bottom.
    (*) In Java Math.sin(...) expects the angle in radians, not in degrees.

    For convenience I quote the Java code from
    <http://www.javaworld.com/jw-03-1996/animation/Example4Applet.html> here:
    public void paint(Graphics g) {
    Dimension d = size();
    int h = d.height / 2;
    for (int x = 0 ; x < d.width ; x++) {
    int y1 = (int)((1.0 + Math.sin((x - frame) * 0.05)) * h);
    int y2 = (int)((1.0 + Math.sin((x + frame) * 0.07)) * h);
    g.drawLine(x, y1, x, y2);
    and the HTML code
    <applet code=Example4Applet.class width=500 height=50>
    <param name=fps value=10>
    </applet>

    A strategy for understanding an algorithm is stepping through it with
    pencil and paper (and a desk-calculator for the sine) as if you were the
    computer.

    (1) In the HTML code above note the applet parameter: fps=10 (by the
    way: "fps" probably means "frames per second").

    (2) Now look into the complete Example4Applet.java (into method
    "init()"). There the "fps" applet-parameter is used to calculate a
    variable "delay". You get delay = 20 (Repeat that calculation fo yourself!)

    (3) Now look into method "run()" of Example4Applet.java.
    There the "delay" variable is used to increment the variable "frame"
    (which initially had the value 0) by 1 every 20 milliseconds.

    (4) Proceed to method "paint(Graphics)". Now your paper-work begins:
    Step through the paint method line by line; do the the calculation of
    that line (you remembered to switch your desk-calculator to radians),
    write down the calculated value of the variables.
    Your sheet of paper might look like this:
    d = Dimension(width=500,height=50)
    h = 50/2 = 25
    frame = 0
    /* 1st iteration of the for-loop */
    x = 0
    y1 = (int)((1.0 + Math.sin((0 - 0) * 0.05)) * 25) = 1
    y2 = (int)((1.0 + Math.sin((0 + 0) * 0.07)) * 25) = 1
    //draw a black line from (x|y1) to (x|y2)
    /* 2nd iteration of the for-loop */
    x = 1
    y1 = (int)((1.0 + Math.sin((1 - 0) * 0.05)) * 25) = (int) 2.25 = 2
    y2 = (int)((1.0 + Math.sin((1 + 0) * 0.07)) * 25) = (int) 2.75 = 2
    //draw a black line from (x|y1) to (x|y2)
    /* 3rd iteration of the for-loop */

    Thomas Fritsch, Jan 20, 2008