ANN: dmath 0.9 - Math routines for the Decimal type

Brian Beck

Hi all,

I'm pleased to announce the first release of my new library, dmath. It is
available under the MIT/X11 license.

Download
========
Cheese Shop: http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/dmath/0.9
Google Code: http://code.google.com/p/dmath/

What is dmath?
==============
dmath provides the standard math routines for Python's arbitrary-precision
Decimal type. These include acos, asin, atan, atan2, ceil, cos, cosh,
degrees, e, exp, floor, golden_ratio, hypot, log, log10, pi, pow, radians,
sign, sin, sinh, sqrt, tan, and tanh.

About this release:
===================
This is the first release and I'm calling this release 0.9 because it just
needs some testing and maybe some speed improvements, otherwise it's ready
to use. There is currently some work being done in Python sandbox/trunk to
convert the decimal module to C, and maybe they'll include fast versions of
all these routines.

You can follow development details and announcements on my blog here:
http://blog.case.edu/bmb12/

How do I use it?
=================
Use it just like math and cmath, but make sure you give it Decimals:
Decimal("1.6180339887498948482045868343656381177203091798058")

Brian Beck

Brian said:
What is dmath?
==============
dmath provides the standard math routines for Python's arbitrary-precision
Decimal type. These include acos, asin, atan, atan2, ceil, cos, cosh,
degrees, e, exp, floor, golden_ratio, hypot, log, log10, pi, pow, radians,
sign, sin, sinh, sqrt, tan, and tanh.

Oh yeah, you may be wondering how this differs from decimalfuncs:
http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/decimalfuncs/1.4

The answer is that dmath has the complete set of math routines (not just a
subset), it's faster (from what I can tell), doesn't require its own
precision-setting method, and it's MIT instead of GPL licensed.

Brian Beck

km said:
and how different is MIT licence to GPL ?
could u elaborate on that ?
regards,
KM

The GPL license is a copyleft license, meaning: "The GPL does not give the
licensee unlimited redistribution rights. The right to redistribute is
granted only if the licensee includes the source code (or a legally-binding
offer to provide the source code), including any modifications made.
Furthermore, the distributed copies, including the modifications, must also
be licensed under the terms of the GPL." (Wikipedia)

The MIT license is non-copyleft, meaning anyone has the rights to use, copy,
modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies provided
they keep the license text with the library.