ANN: EasyDialogs for Windows version 1.16.0

Jimmy Retzlaff

EasyDialogs for Windows is available at:

http://www.averdevelopment.com/python/

EasyDialogs for Windows is a ctypes based emulation of the EasyDialogs
module included in the Python distribution for Macintosh. It attempts to
be as compatible as possible. Code using the Macintosh EasyDialogs
module can often be run unchanged on Windows using this module. The
module has been tested on Python 2.3 running on Windows NT, 98, XP, and
2003. I would appreciate feedback at (e-mail address removed) about experience
running this on other versions of Windows (I attempted to avoid APIs
that weren't available on Windows 95 or Windows NT 4.0).

EasyDialogs is written in pure Python using Thomas Heller's ctypes
module (http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/ctypes/) to call Windows
APIs directly. No Python GUI toolkit is used. This means that relatively
small distributions can be made with py2exe (or its equivalents). A
simple test of all the dialogs in EasyDialogs bundled up using py2exe
results in a distribution that is about 1.25MB. Using py2exe in concert
with NSIS as shown at
http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/moin.cgi/SingleFileExecutable
allows the same test to run as a single file executable that is just
under 500KB.

Prerequisites:
EasyDialogs for Windows requires Windows, Python 2.3, and ctypes 0.6.3.

License: MIT

Change history:

Version 1.16.0
- Removed resource DLL, resources are now in a Python source file which
simplifies distribution of apps with py2exe
- Spelling corrections
- File open/save dialogs did not display on Windows 98
- AskString edit boxes were too short on Windows 98
- Improved display of drop down lists on Windows 98 and NT
- Made minor changes to bring inline with CVS version 1.16 for
Macintosh

Version 1.14.0
- Initial public release

Jimmy