ANN: eric3 snapshot released

Detlev Offenbach

Hi,

I have just uploaded the first snapshot of the eric3 3.7 development. It
includes some bug fixes and these new functionality.

- support for Ruby files
- support for typed projects (type = progr. language)
- the beginning of a Ruby debug client (need some help here)
- the capability to set the environment of the debugger
- an extended diff for the subversion vcs with the capability to select
the revisions to be compared

It is available via http://www.die-offenbachs.de/detlev/eric3.html.

What is eric3
-------------
eric is an Integrated Development Environment. It is written in PyQt
using Python (please don't start a flame on me, develoment started over
two years ago). It includes everything one can expect from an IDE. See
above URL for more information.

With the a.m. snapshot I started to include Ruby support. It already
includes an editor with syntax highlighting and an interactive Ruby
shell. Due to the fact, that I am a Ruby newby, I need some help with
the debug client. Once this is working, I will add more functions for
Ruby like the ones that are already in for Python.

Please send feedback to my email address as well.

Regards,
Detlev

Curt Hibbs

Detlev said:
Hi,

I have just uploaded the first snapshot of the eric3 3.7 development. It
includes some bug fixes and these new functionality.

- support for Ruby files
- support for typed projects (type = progr. language)
- the beginning of a Ruby debug client (need some help here)

You could look at the debugger in FreeRIDE (http://freeride.rubyforge.org/)
or, better yet, you could join the FreeRIDE project. It is an open source
IDE for Ruby that is written in Ruby.

Curt

Richard Dale

Curt said:
You could look at the debugger in FreeRIDE
(http://freeride.rubyforge.org/) or, better yet, you could join the
FreeRIDE project. It is an open source IDE for Ruby that is written in
Ruby.
Yes, that was my starting point for the KDevelop ruby debugger - thanks
FreeRIDE guys!

I'd love to add a python debugger to KDevelop, maybe based on the Eric one.
So I'm happy to help out with Eric, if I can contribute any interesting
ideas/code from the ruby KDevelop debugger. In return maybe KDevelop can
coopt some of Eric's python debugger stuff in a GPL 'lovefest'..

-- Richard

mepython

Thanks Detlev. This is one of the best IDE I have ever used. similar to
pyqt, ruby has qtruby and both of them rocks.

Detlev Offenbach

mepython said:
Thanks Detlev. This is one of the best IDE I have ever used. similar to
pyqt, ruby has qtruby and both of them rocks.

And I would like to make it even better by giving it Ruby support to the
most possible extend. Currently I am struggling to get the debugger
working, but got some new ideas.