[ANN] FireRuby 0.2.0

Peter Wood

FireRuby Version 0.2.0

This is the second release of the FireRuby library. FireRuby is an extension
to the Ruby language that provides access to the functionality of the
Firebird relational database management system.

Enhancements & Alterations:

This release sees a switch away from returning arrays containing the row
data for queries. Calling the fetch method on a ResultSet object returns an
object of the new Row class. This class possesses a lot more information on
the row data, including the column name, column aliases, row number and
column data. See the API documentation for more information on this class.

A change has been made to the Database and Connection classes. Previously
the database user name and password was specified when creating a Database
object. This didn't make sense so the user name and password have now been
switched to be parameters of the connect method. The Connection class has
also be updated to reflect this change. Apologies if this breaks existing
code but this kind of change is better done sooner rather than later.

A few additional methods have been added to the existing class set. The
ResultSet class now has a method call exhausted? that can be used to detect
when there are no more rows available (the fetch method must have been
called at least once however). The Statement object now has a
parameter_count method that returns a count of the number of parameters
require for the execution of the SQL statement.

Also improved the documentation a little, by adding in the missing
documentation for the Blob class, including a piece on the actual usage of
the library in code, and adding a source example.

Bug Fixes:

A problem with using scalar numeric values as a parameter to an insert
Statement was corrected and the whole area of input parameter type
conversion tidied up a little.

Project Details:

Project Page: http://rubyforge.org/projects/fireruby/

stu

what is the status of this vs interbase-0.7? which is more production
ready to use??

-stu

Peter Wood

Difficult to say. I only started the Ruby Forge project for FireRuby last
week but it seems reasonably stable in the use I have made of it. There
needs to be some extra testing of areas like blob handling but I can only
suggest that you give it a try. It should also be noted that I am not
claiming any Interbase compatibility and this hasn't been tested at all so I
have no idea how well this would work.

Joao Pedrosa

Hi,

Difficult to say. I only started the Ruby Forge project for FireRuby last
week but it seems reasonably stable in the use I have made of it. There
needs to be some extra testing of areas like blob handling but I can only
suggest that you give it a try. It should also be noted that I am not
claiming any Interbase compatibility and this hasn't been tested at all so I
have no idea how well this would work.

I'm going to test FireRuby. I support Firebird with ODBC using
Ruby-ODBC and using the Interbase0.7 driver. Both work ok. This
FireRuby might be cool also, thanks for it in advance. :)

Cheers,
Joao

stu

the firebird api == interbase api.. same thing. firebird havnt added
anything extra to the API.

Not sure if this will be the same for the FB2.0 branch but the 1.5 api
is the same as the interbase api.

-stu