ANN] HighLine 1.0.1

James Edward Gray II

HighLine 1.0.1 Released
=======================

With this release HighLine now has everything we the developers have
ever wanted it to have and everything we've seen you the users ask
for. Given that, we decided it was time to leave the beta status
behind and bump the version to 1.0.

In addition to the fun new features listed below, we also fixed all
known issues. Keep those reports coming... We're listening!

What is HighLine?
-----------------

(from the README)

HighLine was designed to ease the tedious tasks of doing console
input and output with low-level methods like gets() and puts().
HighLine provides a robust system for requesting data from a user,
without needing to code all the error checking and validation rules
and without needing to convert the typed Strings into what your
program really needs. Just tell HighLine what you're after, and let
it do all the work.

What's new in this release?
---------------------------

(highlights from the CHANGELOG)

* Added gather = ... option to question for fetching entire Arrays or
Hashes filled with answers. You can set gather to a count of
answers to
collect, a String or Regexp matching the end of input, or a Hash
where each
key can be used in a new question.
* Added File support to HighLine.ask(). You can specify a directory
and a
glob pattern that combine into a list of file choices the user can
select
from. You can choose to receive the user's answer as an open
filehandle or as
a Pathname object.
* Added Readline support for history and editing.
* Added tab completion for menu and file selection selection (requires
Readline).
* Added a complete help system to HighLine's shell menu creation tools.

Plus documentation and examples for the new features. We also fixed
all reported bugs!

Where can I learn more?
-----------------------

HighLine is hosted on RubyForge.

Project page: http://rubyforge.org/projects/highline/
Documentation: http://highline.rubyforge.org/
Downloads: http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=683

How do I get HighLine?

HighLine is a gem, so as long as you have RubyGems installed it's as
simple as:

$ sudo gem install highline

If you need to install RubyGems, you can download it from:

HighLine can also be installed manually. Just download the latest
release and follow the instructions in INSTALL:

James Edward Gray II
Greg Brown