[ANN] IPython 0.12 is out!

Fernando Perez

Hi all,

on behalf of the IPython development team, I'm thrilled to announce, after
an intense 4 1/2 months of work, the official release of IPython 0.12.

This is a very important release for IPython, for several reasons. First
and foremost, we have a major new feature, our interactive web-based
notebook, that has been in our sights for a very long time. We tried to
build one years ago (with WX) as a Google SoC project in 2005, had other
prototypes later on, but things never quite worked. Finally the
refactoring effort started two years ago, the communications architecture
we built in 2010, and the advances of modern browsers, gave us all the
necessary pieces.

With this foundation in place, while part of the team worked on the 0.11
release, Brian Granger had already started quietly building the web
notebook, which we demoed in early-alpha mode at the SciPy 2011 conference
(http://www.archive.org/details/Wednesday-203-6-
IpythonANewArchitectureForInteractiveAndParallel). By the EuroScipy
conference in August we had merged Brian's amazing effort into our master
branch, and after that multiple people (old and new) jumped in to make all
kinds of improvements, leaving us today with something that is an
excellent foundation. It's still the first release of the notebook, and
as such we know it has a number of rough edges, but several of us have
been using it as a daily research tool for the last few months. Do not
hesitate to file issues for any problems you encounter with it, and we
even have an 'open issue' for general discussion of ideas and features for
the notebook at: https://github.com/ipython/ipython/issues/977.

Furthermore, it is clear that our big refactoring work, combined with the
amazing facilities at Github, are paying off. The 0.11 series was a major
amount of work, with 511 issues closed over almost two years. But that
pales in comparison to this cycle: in only 4 1/2 months we closed 515
issues, with 50% being Pull Requests. And very importantly, our list of
contributors includes many new faces (see the credits section in our
release notes for full details), which is the best thing that can happen
to an open source project.

We hope you will find the new features (the notebook isn't the only one!
see below) compelling, and that many more will not only use IPython but
will join the project; there's plenty to do and now there are tasks for
many different skill sets (web, javascript, gui work, low-level
networking, parallel machinery, console apps, etc).

*Downloads*

Download links and instructions are at: http://ipython.org/download.html
And IPython is also on PyPI: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/ipython

Those contain a built version of the HTML docs; if you want pure source
downloads with no docs, those are available on github:

Tarball: https://github.com/ipython/ipython/tarball/rel-0.12
Zipball: https://github.com/ipython/ipython/zipball/rel-0.12

* Features *
Here is a quick listing of the major new features:

- An interactive browser-based Notebook with rich media support
- Two-process terminal console
- Tabbed QtConsole
- Full Python 3 compatibility
- Standalone Kernel
- PyPy support

And many more...

We closed over 500 tickets, merged over 200 pull requests, and more than
45 people contributed commits for the final release.

Please see our release notes for the full details on everything about this
release:
http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/stable/whatsnew/version0.12.html

* IPython tutorial at PyCon 2012 *

Those of you attending (or planning on it) PyCon 2012 in Santa Clara, CA,
may be interested in attending a hands-on tutorial we will be presenting
on the many faces of IPython. See https://us.pycon.org/2012/schedule/
presentation/121/ for full details.

* Errata *
This was caught by Matthias Bussionnier's (one of our great new
contributors) sharp eyes while I was writing these release notes: In the
example notebook called display_protocol, the first cell starts with:

from IPython.lib.pylabtools import print_figure

which should instead be:

from IPython.core.pylabtools import print_figure

This has already been fixed on master, but since the final 0.12 files have
been uploaded to github and PyPI, we'll let them be.

As usual, if you find any other problem, please file a ticket --or even
better, a pull request fixing it-- on our github issues site (https://
github.com/ipython/ipython/issues/).

Many thanks to all who contributed!

Fernando, on behalf of the IPython development team.

http://ipython.org

Wanderer

[...]

Doesn't work for me. I installed it over my IPython 0.11 which did
work for me. I get the following complaint.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Python27\scripts\ipython.py", line 26, in (module)
import Ipython.Shell
File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\Ipython\Shell.py", line 38 in
(module)
from Ipython.Magic import Magic
File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\Ipython\Magic.py", line 536, in
Magic
@testdec.skip_doctest
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'skip_doctest'

Wanderer

Doesn't work for me. I installed it over my IPython 0.11 which did
work for me. I get the following complaint.

Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "C:\Python27\scripts\ipython.py", line 26, in (module)
  import Ipython.Shell
 File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\Ipython\Shell.py", line 38 in
(module)
  from Ipython.Magic import Magic
 File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\Ipython\Magic.py", line 536, in
Magic
  @testdec.skip_doctest
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'skip_doctest'

The windows installer didn't work but installing from the tar file
did. But installing from the tar file doesn't install Ipython in the
site-packages directory. It installs it wherever you untar the tar
file. I don't remember ever having to deal with this before. Most
things just install in the site-packages directory without me having
to do anything special.

becky_lewis

Thanks and congratulations!

Installed via pip --upgrade and everything seems to be working just
fine (python 2.7.0+ on Linux)
I look forward to investigating all of the new features!

Becky Lewis

alex23

The windows installer didn't work but installing from the tar file
did. But installing from the tar file doesn't install Ipython in the
site-packages directory. It installs it wherever you untar the tar
file. I don't remember ever having to deal with this before. Most
things just install in the site-packages directory without me having
to do anything special.

You read the installation instructions and did a 'python setup.py
install' as it states, yes?

Installed that way for Python 2.7.2 under Win64 with no issues
whatsoever.

Fernando Perez

You read the installation instructions and did a 'python setup.py
install' as it states, yes?

Installed that way for Python 2.7.2 under Win64 with no issues
whatsoever.

Glad to hear that. Obviously since I announced it here I'll try to monitor
this thread, but if the OP is still having problems with his installation,
please don't hesitate to post a question on our user mailing list:

where other users and developers may be able to assist (I'll be on
vacation shortly so I may not be able to reply here, hence the chances for
effective help will be higher on the list).

We had no reports of problems with Windows installations during the beta
and RC, so we'd love to know what's causing any issues here to fix them
for the next release.

Cheers,

Wanderer

You read the installation instructions and did a 'python setup.py
install' as it states, yes?

Installed that way for Python 2.7.2 under Win64 with no issues
whatsoever.

No I scrolled down to the Windows directions and used
setuptools,'python setupegg.py install' It works but it is installed
in 'C:python27\Lib\site-packages\ipython-0.12.tar\dist\ipython-0.12'
which is weird. I used 7zip to unzip and untar it maybe that is the
issue.

I'm using winXP. I should be getting my system upgraded to Win7 any
day now, so I'm going to leave it where it is for now.

Thanks