ANN: The Library With No Name

Richard Heathfield

I am pleased to announce the birth of a new library (on the occasion of my
Nth birthday).

CLINT, the Library With No Name, which is available from
http://www.rjgh.co.uk under three licences including the GNU General Public
License (sic), is intended to grow into a (moderately) portable set of
robust and useful ADTs.

The library currently contains wrappers for malloc, calloc, realloc, and
free. The wrappers track allocations in a portable[1] way, with the
tracking information being written to a log file.

I will be adding ADTs to the library "when I feel like it" (to quote Scott
Adams).

[1] "portable", in this case, means "portable to hosted implementations with
a bit of disk space to spare".

Clint Olsen

I am pleased to announce the birth of a new library (on the occasion of
my Nth birthday).

CLINT, the Library With No Name, which is available from
http://www.rjgh.co.uk under three licences including the GNU General
Public License (sic), is intended to grow into a (moderately) portable
set of robust and useful ADTs.

The library currently contains wrappers for malloc, calloc, realloc, and
free. The wrappers track allocations in a portable[1] way, with the
tracking information being written to a log file.

I will be adding ADTs to the library "when I feel like it" (to quote Scott
Adams).

I'm rather fond of the name, myself :)

-Clint

istartedi

Richard Heathfield said:
I am pleased to announce the birth of a new library (on the occasion of my
Nth birthday).

CLINT, the Library With No Name, which is available from
http://www.rjgh.co.uk under three licences including the GNU General Public
License (sic),
[snip]

For all intents and purposes, the library is GPL only (unless you are a
member of a select group). The "we did a deal license" has always been
implied for copyright holders. You're simply explicitly stating it.

If you want to do something truly unique, you could *actually publish
prices* for the "we did a deal" option.

<rant>
This is one of my pet peeves. Companies that don't publish pricing
information do a tremendous disservice to engineers. How on earth are we
supposed to do cost analysis if we don't have costs? Yeah, yeah, we can
talk to sales. And when you do talk to sales they want to know all kinds of
crap about *you* and trying to get price is like trying to pull excalibur
from the stone. I wonder how many products could have been priced lower, or
built with more features if only the poor engineers could have gotten
pricing information without going through the third degree.
</rant>

--$teve

Bertrand Mollinier Toublet

Richard said:
I am pleased to announce the birth of a new library (on the occasion of my
Nth birthday).

CLINT, the Library With No Name, which is available from
http://www.rjgh.co.uk under three licences including the GNU General Public
License (sic), is intended to grow into a (moderately) portable set of
robust and useful ADTs.

The library currently contains wrappers for malloc, calloc, realloc, and
free. The wrappers track allocations in a portable[1] way, with the
tracking information being written to a log file.

I will be adding ADTs to the library "when I feel like it" (to quote Scott
Adams).

[1] "portable", in this case, means "portable to hosted implementations with
a bit of disk space to spare".
For the "special license" reason and the coding style reason, I can see
why you do not wish to contribute to libclc. I can only regret it.

I would also like to notify you that I could not resist and altered my
sig to quote you in your CLINT page (in the answer to "What do I do if I
think I have found a bug in CLINT"). If it is not okay, please let me know.

Keith Thompson

Richard Heathfield said:
CLINT, the Library With No Name, which is available from
http://www.rjgh.co.uk under three licences including the GNU General Public
License (sic), is intended to grow into a (moderately) portable set of
robust and useful ADTs.
[...]

I see that you're granting Richard Stallman a personal license to
modify and use CLINT in commercial softare without releasing the
modified sources.

I am officially amused.

Richard Heathfield

Keith Thompson wrote:

I see that you're granting Richard Stallman a personal license to
modify and use CLINT in commercial softare without releasing the
modified sources.

I am officially amused.

I must admit I was half-afraid that nobody would notice that. :)

But then, clc subscribers always were a sharp-eyed bunch.

Ben Pfaff

From your FAQ page:

It is the opinion of the author that file scope variables in
general, and particularly file scope variables with external
linkage, are entirely avoidable in C programs with the single
exception of volatile sig_atomic_t objects for modification
by signal handlers.

Do you have a scheme for passing data to atexit() handlers that
doesn't involve file scope variables?

Randy Howard

I am pleased to announce the birth of a new library (on the occasion of my
Nth birthday).

Happy birthday!
CLINT, the Library With No Name,

Which begs the question, is it Good, Bad, Ugly, or all three? :)
Or, perhaps you expect a fistful of dollars, or even a few dollars
more?