[ANN] unicorn 3.1.0 - client_buffer_body_size tuning

Eric Wong

Unicorn is an HTTP server for Rack applications designed to only serve
fast clients on low-latency, high-bandwidth connections and take
advantage of features in Unix/Unix-like kernels. Slow clients should
only be served by placing a reverse proxy capable of fully buffering
both the the request and response in between Unicorn and slow clients.

* http://unicorn.bogomips.org/
* (e-mail address removed)
* git://git.bogomips.org/unicorn.git

Changes:

This release enables tuning the client_buffer_body_size to raise
or lower the threshold for buffering request bodies to disk.
This only applies to users who have not disabled rewindable
input. There is also a TeeInput bugfix for uncommon usage
patterns and Configurator examples in the FAQ should be fixed.

zuerrong

Just be curious about the product name.
why don't call it unicom?
unicom is far easier for remembering since it's a main ISP name here. :)

Tony Arcieri

And Unicorns are fantastical mythical creatures!

Just be curious about the product name.
why don't call it unicom?
unicom is far easier for remembering since it's a main ISP name here. :)

Stu

I like Unicorn because it's UNIX

Just be curious about the product name.
why don't call it unicom?
unicom is far easier for remembering since it's a main ISP name here. :)

John Morrice

And Unicorns are fantastical mythical creatures!

zuerrong said:
yep that indicates it's not prepare for the actual use.

Is that so? You'd better write to the OGRE developers too.

Eric Wong

zuerrong said:
yep that indicates it's not prepare for the actual use.

There's no shiny website, commercial support, or even a web-based
bug tracker, so of course it's not ready for actual use! :>

Anyways, in case somebody wanted to know how I named it:

I originally wanted to call it "Unicron", in honor of a track posted by
a Kiwi[1] many years ago to a Usenet group we frequented:

http://unicorn.bogomips.org/unicron.mp3

I swapped the "ro" for "or" because:
a) it might be confused as a "cron"-workalike
b) I could get sued by whoever owns the rights to the name (Hasbro?)

The "Uni" has two meanings:
1) it signifies "one", being single-threaded compared to its ancestor
2) it shares 3 characters with its intended platform: UNIX

Of course, unicorns are awesome, too :) It's also a constant
reminder to never take things too seriously ;>

[1] - It's been many years, but I could try getting in touch with him
if you guys like it :)