[ANN] YAML in Five Minutes

why the lucky stiff

Perhaps you've heard that Ruby 1.8.0 now includes YAML support, but
you're not exactly sure what YAML is or you don't want to spend the time
reading the long documents at yaml.org.

I'm starting a series of tutorials to help Ruby users learn YAML
quickly. The first tutorial is a very basic primer titled "Yaml in Five
Minutes."

http://yaml.freepan.org/index.cgi?YamlInFiveMinutes

The tutorial is five short pages long, each covering a single aspect of
YAML in a minute's time. By the end, you should be able to construct
beautiful YAML documents for your personal use.

If you already know YAML, I would certainly appreciate suggestions for
improvement. And if you have an idea for a tutorial or would like to
add to the YAML wiki, go for it.

Thank you.

_why

why the lucky stiff

Rich said:
Wow. It is simple...

A question - Is a YAML parser easier to develop than an XML parser (not full
functionality, just midlevel support)?

-Rich

It's a pretty close race. I'd say YAML has a few more tokens than XML.
In addition, indentation can be difficult to parse. I'd say a midlevel
XML parser would be easier to write than a YAML parser. Neither is an
incredibly daunting task, though.

Fortunately, you don't have to build a YAML parser, if you use Ruby.

_why

Emmanuel Touzery

It's a pretty close race. I'd say YAML has a few more tokens than XML.
In addition, indentation can be difficult to parse. I'd say a midlevel
XML parser would be easier to write than a YAML parser. Neither is an
incredibly daunting task, though.

well, XML parsers can be validating, then they must parse DTDs and/or XShemas
and then i'd they they become considerably more complicated than YAML (or did
i miss something?).

emmanuel