[ANN] ZenTest 3.9.0 Released

Ryan Davis

ZenTest version 3.9.0 has been released!

* <http://www.zenspider.com/ZSS/Products/ZenTest/>
* <http://rubyforge.org/projects/zentest/>
* <[email protected]>

ZenTest provides 4 different tools and 1 library: zentest, unit_diff,
autotest, multiruby, and Test::Rails.

ZenTest scans your target and unit-test code and writes your missing
code based on simple naming rules, enabling XP at a much quicker
pace. ZenTest only works with Ruby and Test::Unit.

unit_diff is a command-line filter to diff expected results from
actual results and allow you to quickly see exactly what is wrong.

autotest is a continous testing facility meant to be used during
development. As soon as you save a file, autotest will run the
corresponding dependent tests.

multiruby runs anything you want on multiple versions of ruby. Great
for compatibility checking!

Test::Rails helps you build industrial-strength Rails code.

Changes:

### 3.9.0 / 2008-01-30

* 15 minor enhancements:

* Added Wilson's patch to allow unit_diff to work with mspec.
Adding rspec next.
* Minor overhaul for autotest:
* Added -f flag to start up without testing.
* Added -q flag to autotest to make it extra quiet. Patch by
Aaron Patterson.
* Added ability to set test execution order, defaults to :random.
EVIL!
* Added completed_re and failed_results_re to help subclasses
like rspec.
* Added deprecation warnings for hooks. Deprecated :run.
* Added find_directories accessor, defaults to ['.']
* Added sleep accessor, defaults to 1 second.
* Changed find_files to order files in the same order as
find_directories.
* Changed how autodiscover works with $:, added lib to the front.
* Cleaned out nearly every @ and use accessor methods instead.
You should too.
* Made test_mappings ordered.
* Removed @files, adding @find_order and @known_files.
* Renamed tests_for_file to test_files_for.
* test_files_for now only returns known files.

[...]

I forgot to add: IF YOU USE RSPEC WITH AUTOTEST there are enough
changes in here that you should wait for rspec's next release (RSN--
I've been coordinating with David on this one).

James Herdman

Did you guys change how you quit autotest in 3.9.0? I'm CTRL-C'ing until
the cows come home and it doesn't seem to want to die.
James

[...]

Then you have something bad in your .autotest.

James Herdman

Indeed. I took your advice and found that by requiring 'autotest/screen'
the problems began. I'll poke around in there later this week to see if I
can find the culprit code.
James

Nate Clark

Is anyone getting a massive memory leak when running autotest with the
newly released Rspec 1.1.3? I upgraded both ZenTest and Rspec gems
this morning, and since then, both myself and my officemate have not
been able to run autotest for more than a couple minutes before
physical and virtual memory rockets to over 1GB. We're both on OS X
Leopard.

Anybody else have this problem today?

James Herdman

I'm having a problem to, unrelated to my previous problem. ZenTest is just
beating the snot out of my machine.
James

Ryan Davis

Is anyone getting a massive memory leak when running autotest with the
newly released Rspec 1.1.3? I upgraded both ZenTest and Rspec gems
this morning, and since then, both myself and my officemate have not
been able to run autotest for more than a couple minutes before
physical and virtual memory rockets to over 1GB. We're both on OS X
Leopard.

Anybody else have this problem today?

Yeah. that'd be me... I'm a tard.

I saw it only once late last night and didn't have the brains to
debug. It also wasn't showing up in the main thing I was working in
(zentest has a small set of files, rubinius does NOT--again, no brain).

It is patched up and fixed in 3.9.1.