ant javadoc warnings on uncommented code

kal stevens

I was wondering if it was possible to use the javadoc task in such a
way as to give a warning for missing comments?

I just wanted to make sure that I / my coworkers know when we forget to
comment their code.

Andrew T.

kal said:
I was wondering if it was possible to use the javadoc task in such a
way as to give a warning for missing comments?

The docs for the JavaDoc Ant task mention it accepts an
additionalparam ..that "Lets you add additional
parameters to the javadoc command line. "
Unfortunately, I could not see an easy way to get JavaDoc
itself to document/highlight missing comments.

...hmmm. Perhaps a custom DocLet?
I just wanted to make sure that I / my coworkers know when we forget to
comment their code.

Most IDE's worth their salt will highlight missing javadoc tags.
(Just a thought.)

Andrew T.

Daniel Dyer

The docs for the JavaDoc Ant task mention it accepts an
additionalparam ..that "Lets you add additional
parameters to the javadoc command line. "
Unfortunately, I could not see an easy way to get JavaDoc
itself to document/highlight missing comments.

..hmmm. Perhaps a custom DocLet?

Most IDE's worth their salt will highlight missing javadoc tags.
(Just a thought.)

Andrew T.

Another option would be to use Checkstyle with Ant. You could even set it
up so that the build fails if the codes isn't commented properly (perhaps
a bit extreme).

Dan.