    Are there any books that show how to do this in an environmnt that we would
    really use? Using Visual Studio, code-behind, and in my case VB?
    Thanks,

    GaryB, Nov 24, 2004

  2. GaryB

    Paul Ingles Guest

    Gary,

    I've only really seen that book, and have looked through it on various
    occasions to understand more about databinding, templating etc. From what I
    read it actually seemed pretty good.

    The code samples may well have used code embedded in the ASPX pages but
    that's not really the focus of the book -- putting the code in one place
    makes it easier to read, it's easy to see how you would wire the code to use
    code-behind instead. Server controls will more often than not get put in
    separate class libraries and then referenced by web projects, the use of
    code-behind is a web-project issue rather than a control one.

    Likewise with the SDK, not everybody will be using Visual Studio so using
    standard tools makes sense, and again, the aim of the book ought to be on
    showing how the underlying ASP.NET and .NET plumbing enables you to
    accomplish certain things, in which case, a book showing you how to add
    classes to a project etc. would be a little worthless.

    With regards to VB, I don't know but I have seen times where people have
    produced both VB and C# versions of books, there may be another edition that
    includes VB code. However, it ought to be relatively easy to read the C# and
    convert it to VB.

    Paul

    Paul Ingles, Nov 24, 2004

  3. GaryB

    Griff Guest

    There is a post initiated by me in the newsgroup "aspnet.webcontrols" called
    "Books" (13-Oct) which may be of some help.

    Griff

    Griff, Nov 24, 2004
  4. GaryB

    admin Guest