Apache Tomcat NoClassDefFoundError

celestius

Hey all --

I'm getting an error from Tomcat, saying it can't find a class. The
class is defined in a .jar file located in WEB-INF/classes (we've also
tried WEB-INF/classes/dotted.package.name). Tomcat doesn't complain
about the correct import statement in the JSP file, but does throw an
error when we give it a bogus package name. Any ideas?

Pachuco

Andrew Thompson

I'm getting an error from Tomcat, saying it can't find a class. The
class is defined in a .jar file located in WEB-INF/classes

Jar's should be put in 'WEB-INF/lib' - only loose class
files should go by their package names in 'classes'.

Andrew T.

Juha Laiho

(e-mail address removed) said:
I'm getting an error from Tomcat, saying it can't find a class. The
class is defined in a .jar file located in WEB-INF/classes (we've also
tried WEB-INF/classes/dotted.package.name). Tomcat doesn't complain
about the correct import statement in the JSP file, but does throw an
error when we give it a bogus package name. Any ideas?

I see you already got the correct response, but here's also a pointer
where you would've found it yourself:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/appdev/deployment.html

.... so, right in Tomcat documentation, via the links
"First Webapp" and "Deployment Organization".

Overall, the "First Webapp" is a valuable piece of documentation
for Tomcat.