applet loading with progressbar in custom image

Ronald Wouters

Hi all,
I use the object tag in my html page for loading my applet. I am
trying to replace the coffee cup logo by a custom logo and a
progressbar. According to the plugin docs this should be possible
using the param name="image" and param name="progressbar".
The problem is that if I use both parameters, in any sequence, only
the progressbar appears but no custom logo. If I use only the param
name="image" then the custom logo appears just fine. The same happens
if I use the applet tag instead of the object tag.
Is this by design or is it a bug ? I am using plugin 1.4.2_02.

Regards,
Ronald Wouters

Andrew Thompson

| Hi all,
| I use the object tag in my html page for loading my applet. I
am
| trying to replace the coffee cup logo by a custom logo and a
| progressbar.

URL?

|..According to the plugin docs this should be possible

URL?

Ronald Wouters

Hi,
this is currently on my localhost only, so no URL. However, I assume
you are interested in the html code. Here it is:

<OBJECT classid="clsid:8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93"
WIDTH = 1004 HEIGHT = 716
codebase="/plugins/j2re-1_4_2_02-windows-i586-p.exe#Version=1,4,2,02">
<PARAM NAME = CODE VALUE = "test.CentralNavigator" >
<PARAM NAME="type" VALUE="application/x-java-applet;version=1.4">
<PARAM NAME="scriptable" VALUE="false">
<PARAM NAME="image" VALUE="mylogo.jpg">
<PARAM NAME="progressbar" VALUE="true">
<PARAM NAME="boxmessage" VALUE="Loading Central Navigator">
<PARAM NAME="mayscript" VALUE="true">
<PARAM NAME = "cache_option" VALUE ="Plugin">
<PARAM NAME = "cache_archive" VALUE ="/test/client.jar">
<PARAM NAME = "cache_version" VALUE ="3.2.0.23">
<COMMENT>
<EMBED type="application/x-java-applet;version=1.4"
CODE = "test.CentralNavigator"

Here is also the relevant output of the Java plugin console:

Initializing applet ...
Starting applet ...
Connecting http://localhost/test/central/mylogo.jpg with no proxy

As you can see above, the image is downloaded just fine into the
plugin cache.
However, as mentioned in my previous posting, only the progressbar
appears but no logo.
Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Ronald Wouters

Andrew Thompson

| Hi,
| this is currently on my localhost only, so no URL. However, I
assume
| you are interested in the html code.

you assume wrong.

|Here it is:
|
| <OBJECT classid="clsid:8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93"

No it isn't. That is the applet call which is obviously
in your web page, but your web page starts with
something like <html>, or, if it is _valid_ html it
might start with.. <!doctype html public....

The point is that
a) I could see your html myself,
b) validate it,
c) see the applet,
d) view the Java console output...

All quicker than if I tried to trawl through
snippets which may, or may not, represent
the actual code (both java and html), and may,
or may not, contain the problem.

And as far as "this is currently on my localhost only"?

Get off your touche and put it on GeoCities or
somewhere, it's not as if it is going to cost you
money..

I think you might also gain some tips from
an article I put on my site recently.
http://www.physci.org/codes/sscce.jsp

Ronald Wouters

It also says, just a few lines below that, in the plugin guide:

"With any combination of image, progressbar, and boxmessage
attributes, custom colors can always be provided via the boxbgcolor,
boxfgcolor, and progresscolor attributes."

"Any combination of image, progressbar..." suggests to me that image
and progressbar can be combined ?!

Regards,
Ronald

Andrew Thompson

| It also says, just a few lines below that, in the plugin guide:
|
| "With any combination of image, progressbar, and boxmessage
| attributes, custom colors can always be provided via the
boxbgcolor,
| boxfgcolor, and progresscolor attributes."
|
| "Any combination of image, progressbar..." suggests to me that
image
| and progressbar can be combined ?!

Sorry! Of course you are right, my bad...

Well, I am running out of ideas rather quickly
here. The _only_ other thing I can think of is
that the image flickers onto screen only to be
_immediately_ replaced by the ProgessBar*..

Do they occur in the same physical place in the
Applet? (when used seperately)

* The behaviour I describe does not
make much sense, but I think it is worth
checking.