Application restart frequently

Guest

Hi,

For Custom Caching, we are having couple of hashtables & lists which store
around 200,000 objects.

This was working on Win 2003 perfect and now we added a new module which
would store 500,000 more objects in Custom Cache.

Now for the first time though its taking some time to load all these into
hashtable, its loading very fine, but after couple of seconds/hits, those
objects are dying.

We found that application is restarting as Application_End event is being
raised, but the process thread aspnet_wp is not being killed.

Any suggestions?????

msdn

May be your RAM is faulty.
Does it take about 32 seconds to load all 500,000 objects?
How big are you objects.

Sa

Guest

Its working fine when we deployed on Win 2003 machine, but failing on win
2000.

RAM is 1 gig and is working fine.. Its taking around 6 to 8 secs to load all
500,000 items and overall worker process is taking upto 260MB when you check
in task manager.

We checked all the options in machine.config based on below recommendations.
http://www.xefteri.com/articles/show.cfm?id=14

--
Murali Krishna,
Vendare Media

msdn said:
May be your RAM is faulty.
Does it take about 32 seconds to load all 500,000 objects?
How big are you objects.

Sa

msdn

Interesting statistics,
and I am sure you have the latest SPs etc.. on Win 2000.
May be you discovered a new Bug in Win2000 that might never be fixed.

Sa

Murali Krishna. Siruvuru said:
Its working fine when we deployed on Win 2003 machine, but failing on win
2000.

RAM is 1 gig and is working fine.. Its taking around 6 to 8 secs to load
all
500,000 items and overall worker process is taking upto 260MB when you
check
in task manager.

We checked all the options in machine.config based on below
recommendations.
http://www.xefteri.com/articles/show.cfm?id=14

Guest

can you tell me approximately what is the size of the object which you are

Murali Krishna. Siruvuru said:
Its working fine when we deployed on Win 2003 machine, but failing on win
2000.

RAM is 1 gig and is working fine.. Its taking around 6 to 8 secs to load all
500,000 items and overall worker process is taking upto 260MB when you check
in task manager.

We checked all the options in machine.config based on below recommendations.
http://www.xefteri.com/articles/show.cfm?id=14

Guest

see Event Log for application, It will contain the details of crash , as i
produced same case like you and i got this msg.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: ASP.NET 1.1.4322.0
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 24/05/2006
Time: 10:04:13
User: N/A

aspnet_wp.exe (PID: 4204) was recycled because memory consumption exceeded
the 762 MB (60 percent of available RAM).

Pls provide feedback if this post is useful for you. Thanks

Murali Krishna. Siruvuru said:
Its working fine when we deployed on Win 2003 machine, but failing on win
2000.

RAM is 1 gig and is working fine.. Its taking around 6 to 8 secs to load all
500,000 items and overall worker process is taking upto 260MB when you check
in task manager.

We checked all the options in machine.config based on below recommendations.
http://www.xefteri.com/articles/show.cfm?id=14

Guest

Each Object is a structure having 3 string variables and 2 int variables.
Thats it.

Also the aspnet_wp is not dying. When these 200,000 strcutures are being
loaded its aspnet_wp is taking from 80MB to 120MB and all of sudden the
application object dies, but aspnet_wp does not die. It still remains but its
size gets downsized to 80MB back.

offwhite

Is this a ASP.NET 1.1 or 2.0 application?

If it is a 2.0 application you can take advantage of System.Web.Cache
and the CacheDependency. You will want to set the CacheItemPriority to
High or NotRemovable to prevent it from being kicked to free up space.

Then you will want to allow these objects to fall off on their own
expiration settings. Once they do fall off you can have it call the
CacheItemRemovedCallback. From there you can trigger it to reload a
fresh copy of the object back into the cache and reset the expiration.

CacheItemPriority
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.caching.cacheitempriority.aspx

CacheItemRemovedCallback
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.caching.cacheitemremovedcallback.aspx

msdn

I am sure you have a very good reason, Why do you want to load 700,000
objects into memory.
can you share a little bit. Just interested to know.

Thank you Murali,

Sa

offwhite

In that case, I would try to make the ASP.NET 1.1 Cache hold your
objects longer. The CacheItemPriority was added in 2.0 and I am not
sure how you would do that with 1.1. The Datasets in 2.0 are also much
faster with the large amounts of data due to improved indexing.

Could you explain why you want to load such a large amount of data into
the cache?

I assume it is because querying it from the database takes too long
Another strategy you may want to try is to use a sort of data
warehouse. You can create a denormalized table and put your data into
it for fast loading. Index the columns as needed to speed it up. Then
you can load smaller amounts of data as needed because it will be much
faster.

Occasionally you can have that data updated with a scheduled task
within SQL Server as a DTS package. Or you could create a stored
procedure the ASP.NET application can call to update the data.

Guest

We have a system in which the user has to be redirected based on item queried
from this hashtable key. Hashtable Value holds the structure with necessary
info for redirection.

For performance we are supposed to store this info in memory only. Our
servers are geographically located across the globe, hence database option
was not feasible for us taking performance into consideration.