"as" keyword woes

Steven D'Aprano

If my tire is flat, I have to fix it. But it may just need air, in which
case it's not broken.

In which case it doesn't need *fixing*, it needs *refilling*. A flat tire
isn't necessarily broken. It is broken if it has a puncture or a slow
leak or has been ripped to shreds, but not if somebody merely let the air
out. "Air comes out if you open the value" is within standard operating
parameters and the tire is therefore working correctly.

So, you're saying that Python is broken and will remain so forever,
since "as" will remain a keyword?

I don't think that having "as" be a keyword is broken. I think the OP's
code is broken for Python 2.6 or better, and it will remain broken
forever unless he fixes it or chooses to stay with 2.5.
Are you advocating that we all switch to Ruby?

Why do you think that? Do you imagine that Ruby has no features which are
inconvenient to users, or backwards incompatibilities, or warts, or that
it is impossible to write broken Ruby code?

Mensanator

In which case it doesn't need *fixing*,

The state of the tire being flat has to be fixed, but not
necessarily the tire.
it needs *refilling*. A flat tire
isn't necessarily broken. It is broken if it has a puncture or a slow
leak or has been ripped to shreds, but not if somebody merely let the air
out. "Air comes out if you open the value" is within standard operating
parameters and the tire is therefore working correctly.

Just as "as" producing a syntax error is working correctly.
I don't think that having "as" be a keyword is broken.

But WS does and you appear to be taking his side.
I think the OP's
code is broken for Python 2.6 or better,

So do I. Why are you arguing then? Simply to be pedantic
about the meaning of "broken"?
and it will remain broken
forever unless he fixes it or chooses to stay with 2.5.

Why do you think that?

Because seem to be agreeing that the problem is with Python.
If that's not what you meant, it's not coming across that way.
Do you imagine that Ruby has no features which are
inconvenient to users, or backwards incompatibilities, or warts, or that
it is impossible to write broken Ruby code?

Who knows what you believe if you're agrreing that Python is
permanently broken?