ASP / ADO / Oracle connection problem

Cliff Cooley

Can anybody suggest what may be causing the following problem ?

I have an ASP script that opens a connection to an Oracle database using a
DSN connection string, such as :

Set dbConn= Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
dbConn.Open "DSN=somedsn; UID=someuser; PWD=somepassword"

With the ASP running on an IIS 5 server, using the Oracle 8 driver to
connect to an Oracle 9 database, there are no connection problems, and
everything works fine.

However, when the ASP script is run in IIS 6, using the Oracle 9 driver, the
ASP 'hangs' in the dbConn.Open statement if a valid connection string is
supplied. If an invalid string is supplied (e.g., the DSN doesn't exist), the
dbConn.Open statement returns immediately, with appropriate error messages.
If a valid string is supplied, it hangs (eventually the ASP times out).

If connection is attempted outside of the IIS environment (e.g., by some
other VB application) using the same connection methods, no problems are
encountered.

Can anyone think of anything that may be contributing to the problem - e.g.,
IIS configuration issues, Oracle driver issues, etc. ?

Many thanks,

Cliff Cooley

Mark Schupp

In my experience the oracle ODBC drivers are trash! Every release they break
something different.

We are currently testing our app against oracle 9.0, 9.2 and 10 and have
found that the oracle 9 and 9.2 ODBC drivers did not work (can't remember
exactly what the error was). Try using the oracle OLEDB drivers instead of
the ODBC ones (see
http://www.able-consulting.com/MDAC...roviders.htm#OLEDBProviderForOracleFromOracle).
Or get the Oracle 10 ODBC driver and network software. Then text your
application thoroughly