ASP.NET 2.0 and Version Number

Frank Villasenor

Hello all,
First thank you for taking the time to read this. Second, this
question may have a simple answer and i'm missing something..... But
anyway, here is the question.

I've worked with ASP.NET 1.1 for a while now, and we generally set
the version number. In .net 1.1, this is generally done in the
AssemblyInfo.cs (for C#) file. I've started a project (brand new, no
migration) in ASP.NET 2.0 and can't find any where where I could set
this property.

Presently, all the assemblies are coming out as version 0.0.0.0. I
would just like all the resulting asseblies to come out as 1.0.* (if we
can still do the * thing).

I've searched online through google, i've searched the MSDN
documentation, but all the documentation is taking me into more complex
topics....

Thank You,
Frank V.
(e-mail address removed)

Scott Allen

I've worked with ASP.NET 1.1 for a while now, and we generally set
the version number. In .net 1.1, this is generally done in the
AssemblyInfo.cs (for C#) file. I've started a project (brand new, no
migration) in ASP.NET 2.0 and can't find any where where I could set
this property.

You could put the AssemblyVersion attribute in a .cs file in App_Code,
and this will give the App_Code assembly a version. All of the other
pages in a web app can generate thier own assemblies, wich makes it
too difficult to add the attribute everywhere.

but ..

If you use the "Web Deployment Project" tool to merge all the
assemblies into a single file, any [assembly: ] attributes are applied
to the final assembly from the App_Code assembly. You can also specify
a version in the web deployment proprty pages.

There is more detail in the tool's whitepaper here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/reference/infrastructure/wdp/default.aspx

Frank Villasenor

You could put the AssemblyVersion attribute in a .cs file in
App_Code,
and this will give the App_Code assembly a version. All of the other
pages in a web app can generate thier own assemblies, wich makes it
too difficult to add the attribute everywhere.

but ..

If you use the "Web Deployment Project" tool to merge all the
assemblies into a single file, any [assembly: ] attributes are applied
to the final assembly from the App_Code assembly. You can also specify
a version in the web deployment proprty pages.

There is more detail in the tool's whitepaper here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/reference/infrastructure/wdp/default.aspx

Scott,
Thank you.