ASP.NET & Access Database!

blantz

I am trying to connect to an Access database on a network drive and
the web server is on the same network, i.e. G:\sample\test.mdb and
everytime I try to connect to it I get an error saying...
'G:\sample\test.mdb' is not a valid path. Make sure that the path name
is spelled correctly and that you are connected to the server on which
the file resides. I then tried giving the full path to the server,
i.e. \\webserver\c:\inetpub\... but got the same error.

When I move the database to my local computer it works fine. Here is
the connection string I am trying to use.

Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;
Data Source=G:\sample\test.mdb;

When I connect via regular ASP using this custom connection string,
everything works correct... any ideas?

"Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; Dbq=G:\sample\test.mdb"

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

The default ASPNET user account doesn't have network permissions.
One solution is to change ASP.NET to run under a different account that has
the necessary permissions. For testing purposes I suggest having it run
under your user account since you know you have permission.

For example, you can add a line similar to this to your web.config file:
<identity impersonate="true" userName="domain\MyAppUser">
password="password"/>

Here's more info on impersonation:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...-us/cpguide/html/cpconaspnetimpersonation.asp

Guest

You have G:\ hardcoded, is the web server have also have the G:\ drive
pointing to the same share? Why not create a DSN on the web server to point
to your Access database? By doing this your code can just point to a DSN
name and not the actual database?

Andy Lim

try to use DSN, and refer to it in your connection string instead of
hardcoding your MDB location path.

HTH,
andy

Joined
Oct 9, 2007
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
The solution to this problem is simple. Use Server.MapPath("./path") to get the path at runtime. Remember to use ../, ./, or nothing before the relative path. Using / will cause an error.