ASP.NET and Javascript

Harry

I have a couple of questions concerning both asp.net and
javascript, if anyone could take some time to enlighten
me on this I'd appreciate it a lot, and sorry if JScript
is out of topic on this forum - in that case ignore this
post.

- Is there any way in javascript to retrieve the
favorites from the user browser, so that they could be
displayed on an .aspx page ? I know there's an easy way
to add a link to the favorites list, but for obvious
security reasons I guess there's no way to get access to
the list itself.
Could someone confirm/infirm my thought ? <- I could do
this with a .net embedded control, but this requires File
Access security permissions which I will not have, so
javascript seems the only way to do this.

- Second and last question, what is the best way to
display an "uploading ..." message on a page ?
My situation is as follows : the user is uploading from
his local drive to the asp server, which is in turn
uploading this to a web service. I fail to see a way to
display the message during the upload from the client to
the asp server (maybe with JScript ?), and creating a new
page just to display the message during the asp->web
service upload is not only cumbersome, it's also a pain
to do since the client file is not accessible directly
anymore and needs to be saved locally.

Thanks a lot for any answer !
Harry

Kevin Spencer

Question 1: There is no way to do this with JavaScript. It would be
invasive, to say the least.
Question 2: You could put a hidden div on the page with the "Uploading"
message. Then, attach a JavaScript function to the WebForm's "onsubmit"
event that unhides the div. The page will remain in the browser window until
a Response begins to come back. So, that should do it.

And BTW, JavaScript is an almost-essential part of ASP.Net. So I would
certainly think that questions about JavaScript, in connection with an
ASP.Net app, are certainly appropriate here.
--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP