ASP.NET equivalent for Servlet?

Frank Milverckowitz

Hi,

I am new to .NET and was wondering if there is an equivalent to a Java
Servlet?

(e.g. to handle "action" parameters sent from client-side)

Or do I need to stop thinking this way?

thanks,
Frank

Mark Rae

I am new to .NET and was wondering if there is an equivalent to a Java
Servlet?

Not really - the closest would probably be the HttpHandler (Google it...)
Or do I need to stop thinking this way?

IMO, yes, otherwise you'll just get frustrated when things aren't the way
they are in other technologies...

You've posted in the ASP.NET newsgroup, so I assume you're interested in web
development more than in WinForms development.

In which case, get a copy of this:

http://www.amazon.com/ASP-NET-Every..._bbs_sr_3/105-7348212-5254862?ie=UTF8&s=books

and work your way through it...

Eliyahu Goldin

I have a very little idea of Java, but I have a clear idea of handling
"action" parameters from client-side. Actually, I use this idea in all my
applications and promote it on
http://www.usableasp.net/DeveloperP...o/HowToPassMessagesBetweenServerAndClient.htm .

As usually, you have to understand the scope of the idea. It is not the
global way of thinking. In many cases you can be quite happy with server
events and regular postbacks. And you can be even more happy with AJAX
calls. But the principal answer is yes, this idea is alive and useful in
Asp.Net.