ASP.NET Javascript Modal Popup won't fire Page Load on second go

H00ner

Hello All

Hope you can help

Been pulling my hair out about a popup problem in ASP.NET. One of the
forms i wrote requires the user to select a product from a list in a
popup web form. the popup has a DataGrid on it and the page.load
function DataBinds as you'd expect.

I have Code-Behind in C# to emit a call to a JavaScript function which
uses showModalDialog() to show the popup. The product list is selected
from the parent page and inserted into a Session[] variable. This
Session[] variable is picked up by the popup and binds to the datagrid
successfully. A little more JavaScript is emitted in the popup to get
an array of data back to the parent, and also call window.close().

However, when the user has to select a second product, the popup
doesn't fire it's Page.load method and the DataGrid remains with it's
old data. The data is definitely in the Session[] store as i expected
it.

How can i get the popup to close properly so that the page.load event
fires every time?

hope it makes sense

Curt_C [MVP]

How can i get the popup to close properly so that the page.load event
fires every time?

Not sure but I think the window.open() call has an attribute to name the
opening window (for ref) and if so try generating a random name (time
perhaps) as the name to ensure it's a "new" window...

Just a quick thought

Grant Merwitz

if i've understood this properly, you are trying to get the Parent page to
reload once you have finished with the popup window.

If this is the case, as well as closing the popup, try redirect the Parent
page to itself

JavaScript: window.opener.parent.location='MyUrl.aspx';

HTH

Grant Merwitz

and just found on google, you can also do:

JavaScript: window.opener.location.reload()

H00ner

I saw that option of window.open() but, unfortunately, I'm using
window.showModalDialog() which returns a variant from the modal box and
not a reference to the page.

thanks for the reply though Curt :¬)

Curt_C [MVP]

Grant said:
if i've understood this properly, you are trying to get the Parent page to
reload once you have finished with the popup window.

Actually I think he's indicating that the second time he tries to call
the window.open() it doesnt.... because he suspects it isnt closing
properly??

H00ner

thanks Grant, but it's not the parent that needs to be reloaded.

The process works like this :

Parent window selects data to be displayed in popup and stores in
session
Parent emits javascript to call showModalDialog() and popup loads
Popup gets data from session and binds to datagrid
User selects data they want and popup returns a JavaScript array
Parent uses javascript array to fill text boxes

This all works okay on the first run through, but the popup will not
fire it's Server-Side Page.Load method when it's called a Second time
and the new data selected by the parent isn't bound to the DataGrid.
It seems that the popup page is still 'loaded' and the JavaScript
window.close() doesn't unload it entirely

Curt_C [MVP]

H00ner said:
I saw that option of window.open() but, unfortunately, I'm using
window.showModalDialog() which returns a variant from the modal box and
not a reference to the page.

thanks for the reply though Curt :¬)

I'm not really concerned with the return from the call, more of the
actual call. I was just wondering if the browser was seeing the same
call twice and not calling it.. was thinking that an appended
QueryString random value or new name may "fool" the browser into
thinking its a different window.

Personally I've avoided the modal windows due to the NASTY problems I
always run into. A well placed/positioned window.open() call is usually
sufficient. It is definitely an area that WWW has a deficiency in.

H00ner

You could be on to something there Curt. I was trying to force the
users to give me the data using a modal dialog box. However, i could
use a window.open() instead really as this does give a reference to the
window i've opened which i should be able to nullify when i'm done

thanks for your feedback (and you, Grant) on my issue. I'll update
this thread with my findings using window.open() instead of
window.showModalDialog()

You're also right about the deficiancy thing as well. i'm hoping
there's something to help us more when ASP.NET 2.0 emerges :¬)

cheers

Tim

Curt_C [MVP]

You're also right about the deficiancy thing as well. i'm hoping
there's something to help us more when ASP.NET 2.0 emerges :¬)

Sadly its not a programming limitation that much.. mostly its a Browser
thing. WWW wasn't really designed around the idea of multiple,
interconnected, windows. It was supposed to be a single call, processed
and returned then dropped. Everything beyond that is really just
"project drift"......

-
Curt Christianson
site: http://www.darkfalz.com
blog: http://blog.darkfalz.com

H00ner

i've had a think about the window.open() thing as well and my project
relies on the returned array from showModalDialog() so it can collect
the data into the desired boxes.

do you know if there's any way of calling a page's Dispose() method
from another page? Maybe i could ensure the page is unloaded before I
emit the JavaScript to pop the box up

i'll have another play tomorrow and see what happens

thanks for all your suggestions :¬)

Tim

Guest

H00ner said:
but the popup will not
fire it's Server-Side Page.Load method when it's called a Second time
and the new data selected by the parent isn't bound to the DataGrid.
It seems that the popup page is still 'loaded' and the JavaScript
window.close() doesn't unload it entirely

Page loads the previous data, when clicked second time ?

The issue should be BROWSER CACHING the data.. use this code in popup page
page_load to expire the cache..

ExpirePageCache();
//.......rest of the page_load logic....................
}

/// <summary>
/// This function prevent the page being retrieved from broswer cache
/// </summary>
private void ExpirePageCache()
{
Response.Cache.SetCacheability(HttpCacheability.NoCache);
Response.Cache.SetExpires(DateTime.Now-new TimeSpan(1,0,0));
Response.Cache.SetLastModified(DateTime.Now);
Response.Cache.SetAllowResponseInBrowserHistory(false);
}

pls let us know if it worked.. Thanks

Sreejith

Guest

an additional note, this happense when you do not have any query parameter
passed (or pass same query param value in susequent calls) to the popup ..

Adding a dummy query parameter param with some random value passed as
parameter every time also could solve the issue..

Curt_C [MVP]

H00ner said:
i've had a think about the window.open() thing as well and my project
relies on the returned array from showModalDialog() so it can collect
the data into the desired boxes.

do you know if there's any way of calling a page's Dispose() method
from another page? Maybe i could ensure the page is unloaded before I
emit the JavaScript to pop the box up

i'll have another play tomorrow and see what happens

thanks for all your suggestions :¬)

Tim

save the data, call the calling-pages Refresh() when complete

H00ner

Sreejith

These both worked.

i added a javascript method to return a random generated querystring
which i then appended to my URL in showModalDialog() and this caused
the page to load every time

Also, i tried the Response.Cache() method you gave me and that works
also. i prefer this method to the random querystring as the code is
all server-side and easy to locate

thanks your help on this, problem solved :¬)

Tim

H00ner

it's a bit of a weird page in most respects. the page starts by asking
the user to select one of our clients and then goes off to cache the
client's product list so that the popup loads a bit quicker. this
selection also makes visible a whole swath of panels and tables with
fields in them.

Sreejith had the solution up above and it was due to browser caching.
invalidating the cache or tricking the browser into thinking it's a
different link sorted it out :¬)

I'd like to thank you all for your time on my issue and replying to me.
it's really helped me out

cheers

Tim

Joined
Nov 3, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Reg Window.Showmodal()

Hi,

If you use window.open() then the parent page will be editable or active.
If you dont want the parent page to be active, then you have to open the pop up using hte below code only

window.showmodal(xxxxxx);

now the question who have is, it's not firing the form load of the pop up page,

for that to happen just write the piece of code at the top of the pop up ASPX page

<% Response.Expires = -1%>

This code should be the first line in the ASPX page of the popup window,

Now when ever the page is loded it will just kill the page add reopen it freshly, so the page load will happen every time you load the popup..

Thanks,

Raja Jayabal.

Joined
Nov 25, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
^
We've also confirmed that all three work beautifully.

We've decided to go with the single line of code in the aspx page.

This has been a huge help.

Thanks Everyone.

Joined
Aug 4, 2009
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I beleive I found a solution to your problem.

I found some code on another forum that seems to resolve the very problem you describe. I had the same problem. Modal Form would open firing page load first time, but not subsequent times, and not run code behind, resulting in incorrect data.

I placed the following code in the initial form load of the modal window, and it now runs the form load every time after closing it. I beleive the modal form was possibly being cached, and no really re-opening every time. Now it does. Hope this helps.

Response.Expires = 0
Response.Cache.SetNoStore()
Response.AppendHeader("Pragma", "no-cache")

Joined
Jul 20, 2010
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi,
please use this the following on your pages asax file.
<%@ OutputCache Duration="1" VaryByParam="*"%>
its works for me very well.

thanks praveen.