ASP.NET Membership - Changing the contract

Mr.Underhill

I want to create a custom provider, that is going to work with an existing
database (I'm not going to use the aspnetdb). I'm going to need to provide
additional fields in the creation of a new user account, new fields for
changing password and also new fields for the login.

Let's take the MembershipUser as a sample, I know that I would need to
inherit from MembershipUser and add my custom fields, what's going to happen
with the UserControls? How am I going to pass the new fields to my new
extended object?

The reason of using the Membership is because I have the feeling that there
is "collaboration" with other new features in VS2005, if I don't use the
Membership, I feel that I'm going to loose more than just the Membership. To
make an educated decision, anybody knows what are the "links" between the
Membership and other features in VS2005, if any?

Any good advice to approach my problem besides create my own? I'm also
willing to create my own UI layer and just implement the Provider, but wish
there is a way to reuse the existing Membership UserControls as much as I can
if it makes sense.

Thanks

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

Hi,

i don't know about which "links" you are talking.

If neither the provider interface nor the controls fit your needs - why do
you want to use the provider pattern - it will be more work teaching the
provider your new tricks than writing your own authentication/user mgmt library
- you have to do that anyways if you write a provider.

my 2c

Mr.Underhill

The "links" I'm referring to are posible collaboration between the Membership
and other features of VS2005 that might be interesting to maintain. I don't
know if there is any feature in VS2005 that utilizes the Membership API under
the covers, if there is any, I'll like to know it.

For example, if you use the Profile feature, then, there is functionality
that you can use with Binding, if you decide to implement Profile type
functionality yourself with your own objects, then you lose that
functionality in the Binding side. This is just an example, I wonder if
there are features like that in VS2005 that I'm going to lose if I create my
own Authentication/User mgmt library. Please advise.

If there is nothing to lose besides the Membership itselft, I'll rather do
my own.

Thanks

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

Hi,

there are no such links - also for profile - you will not lose the profile
functionality - you may need your own provider - but thats another story.