ASP Session usage

Andrew Durstewitz

Hi!

I'm currently working on a survey system that allowes users take the
survey and then review/change their answeres in any order. The system
uses 3 frame (Header,Body,Footer).

As it stands the system uses 3 sessions to get this done. One for the
project they are in, one for the step they are in and one for their
answers.

My question is at what point do I end up over whealming the system with
sessions? I truly do not want to slow the system down that much.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I could optimize the usage of this?

Thanks for your help,
Andrew J Durstewitz

DEVBuilder.org, http://www.DEVBuilder.org
ASP,ASP.NET,VB.NET,PHP,Java,and SQL Support, all in one place.

Keith

Not entirely sure what you're saying.

If you are talking about ASP Sessions, then there is only
one session per user per browser instance (this includes
new windows from an existing browser instance).

If you are wanting to avoid using ASP Session, then, I
believe the preferred method is storing session/state
information in a database. Secondarily, you can use
cookies.

Search MSDN for 'maintaining state ASP' or variations on
that.

Andrew J Durstewitz

What I meant to say is that I have set 3 session variables for each
user...

Session("project")
Session("step")
Session("answeres")

DEVBuilder.org, http://www.DEVBuilder.org
ASP,ASP.NET,VB.NET,PHP,Java,and SQL Support, all in one place.

Mark Schupp

IIRC a session variable uses something like (2*name_length + 6 +
2*value_length) bytes for string data. Can't remember where I saw that,
think it was on this group a long time ago.

Your other options are to save the data in a cookie, pass the data on the
URL or pass the data in hidden form fields.