AspCompat="true" on a Windows 2003 may cause an error

Angelo Brusati

When using VB6 COM objects on a ASP.NET page, and having the @Page directive
with the AspCompat attribute set to true, it causes an error like "Method
'~' of object '~' failed" or "Object reference not set to an instance of an
object".

The scenario is:
- Windows 2003 server
- IIS6
- Framework 1.1

Microsoft recommends to set the AspCompat to true when using VB6 objects on
a ASP.NET page because of performance issues, but the error og above is
unaccepteable. I don't know if the hot fix at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827164 will lose the problem, but the fix is
not available on the net. Very interesting...

Do you have a work-around?
Can I just set AspCompat to false on a Windows 2003 server?

/Angelo

Guest

The error in question was quite common in the old ASP world and generally
corresponded to either

a) a missing COM component
b) a changed method signature

Here is what I would do:

1. Make sure your COM component is registered on the server
2. Check all dependencies, on your machine, and make sure all of the
dependent DLLs are on the Windows Server 2003 machine
3. If the above two are fine, check the versions of the DLLs that are
installed on each machine. If there are different versions, you will want to
poke at the DLL and ensure the method calls have not changed.

---

Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

***************************
Think Outside the Box!
***************************

Angelo Brusati

Hi Gregory

Thank you for your answer.
I'd be very happy if it was so easy!
Unfortunately it's not. The web application runs perfectly on a Windows 2000
server.
Moreover, different test aspx pages proves that the VB6 objects are working
properly. If I change the mentioned attribute "AspCompat" to false (on the
aspx pages which use the VB6 object), the application works just fine.

I'm installing the hotfix sent from Microsoft Support, the 827164.
Anyway, the article describe a similar problem - not exactly mine.

Some other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

/Angelo

Angelo Brusati

Unfortunately the hotfix didn't solve the problem.
As I can see there's no other solution than create a support case at
Microsoft, unless some of you have already experienced the same...

/Angelo