ASPNET failure - Can't login

Frank Wilson

I'm getting the "aspnet_wp.exe could not be launched
because the username and/or password supplied in the
processModel section of the config file are invalid." in
the event log when I try to load a page, but this server
is NOT a domain controller. I've changed the
processModel section of machine.config to SYSTEM, and it
works, but this is not a viable solution in my case due
to security concerns. I'm going to have to figure this
out and switch the login back to MACHINE (ASPNET).

The server is Win2K with Framework 1.0 SP2. I expect
that reinstalling the framework will fix the issue, but
this is a production box and I'd rather not do that
unless I have to. I'd like to understand what is going
on under the covers to cause this message.

Does anyone know what could cause this on a server that
is not a domain controller? I have found "Q" articles
from Microsoft that explain this error, but they only
apply to domain controllers.

Thanks,
Frank