Asynchronous page display

Russel Loski

I am developing a web application using VS 2008. We have included the
AjaxControlToolkit.

We have a report page. You select the fields you want to see and the
filters you want to apply. They application goes off and finds all of the
records in several tables on an Oracle database then returns a report using
the Microsoft Report viewer. The queries take a bit of time to run.

I want to return control to the user immediately after they hit submit.
Every couple seconds I want to update some kind of progress indicator that
will track the progress on their application.

As soon as the data is gathered and the report is rendered, I would prefer
to display the report to the user.

Currently, the page the users view their reports on uses html. When they
hit submit the resulting page displays text that shows the progress of the
report. I believe that a timer is set to refresh the page. As soon as the
report is complete, they are provided with a link which lets them download
the resulting report.

Could someone point me in the right direction, even if only to provide the
standard terminology for what I want to do.

bruce barker

you already have the correct approach. instead of displaying the link, do a
redirect to the report.

you could use ajax with a timer to poll for compete instead of a page
refresh and the ajax could redirect (window.location) when done.

but in general you need to start a background process to build the report,
and the page needs to poll for complete.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)