AutoEventWirteup and project conversion.

RussellGreenlaw

All,

We had several large .Net 1.1 Web Applications that we recently converted to
..Net 2.0 using VS 2008. It went pretty smoothly, or so we thought until
after making a couple weeks of code changes I realized that in the
conversion, VS 2008 changed the AutoEventWireup page directive attribuite to
True and removed all the Load, Init, PreRender and Unload event handler
delegates from the pages. All of the handler functions had the form
Page_XXXXXX so maybe that confused the conversion wizard but that is purely
accademic now.

That is the situation and I am a little concerned that the conversion wizard
didn't respect that fact that we turned off AutoEventWireup and leave it as
it was but now I have a dilema. One of these projects is around 700
forms/controls and I face the prospect of editing all of them to restore the
event delegates or take the performance hit.

Now to my question. When the documentation says performance hit, is there
any way to quantify it? It is just a hit the first time the page is loaded
or everytime. Is there any tool that will change the AutoEventWireup
attribute and create the event delegates based on the event handler functions
that exist in the codebehind file? Maybe a scriptlet that can be run on a
per page basis?

Thanks for any information you can provide and I would love to here from
Microsoft on the specifics of the performance hit as well as any ideas on why
the conversion wizard converted the page event handeling model to something
that is not recommended in the documentation.

Regards,

Russell Greenlaw
Programmer/Analyst
Southern Progress Corporation