Barcode Reader

Guest

Hi,

I have a client who wants to use barcode scanners with web pages( internet
website). They want to scan the barcode no off a label and want this no to go
straight to the focused text field on the webpage i.e the user go's to the
webpage and focuses in a text box, and then they scan( using a barcode
scanner) the barcode # off a printed out label, as soon as this is done, the
barcode # should be there in the focused text box. Is this possible or does
this require more complicated activex controls or .net assemblies?

Please suggest
thanks
Sameer

Guest

It depends on the barcode reader. There are some out there that as far as the
computer is concerned it's a user input device like a keyboard. There are
others out there that just look like an IO device and you need to use
System.IO to access data from it.

The first one is trivial, the second type would be very difficult to do from
a web page, you would need to look into ActiveX or (I forget what they're
called) .NET weblets, the problem with the later is that your client would
need .NET installed and to use IE.

Good Luck,

Jason Lind

Guest

Actually, barcode is very simple. It is just a series of characters and an
ENTER char at end. So you can use normal textbox for scanning barcode.

HTH

Elton Wang
(e-mail address removed)

Patrick Olurotimi Ige

Elton 'm quite interested ..
Can you post any resources related
Thanks

Guest

Hi Patrick,

I don't know where I can find any documents for this. For my several
projects, desktop and web, barcode scanners are used for input device. As I
mentioned before there is a ENTER char at the end of the barcode. Hence it’s
easy to use textbox event to catch input.

In desktop applications, the txtbox_KeyDown event for catching scanning:
if(e.KeyCode == Keys.Enter && !txtbox.Text.Trim().Equals(""))
{
// process
}

In web application, the txtbox_TextChanged for catching scanning
If (!txtbox.Text.Trim().Equals(""))
{
// process
}