Java web app & barcode scanners

Discussion in 'Java' started by mehalso, Jan 22, 2007.

  1. mehalso

    mehalso Guest

    Hi All,

    We are developing an enterprise web app that needs to have pages with
    barcode scanning functionality. A client will be on a page with
    several text boxes, and when he/she scans a barcode, it needs to go
    into the correct text box. Through a little research, I've found that
    we have two options for our barcode scanners -- use a keyboard wedge or
    directly connect the scanner to a serial port.
    For our situation, it looks like the serial connection is probably out
    of the question. The problem we have with the keyboard wedge, though,
    is that the input will go into whichever text box the user currently
    has his/her cursor in. Our goal here is speed and efficiency; in some
    cases, a barcode scan event should place the text in a textbox and
    immediately submit the form and move to the next page. It seems like
    we need some way to identify the input as coming from the barcode
    scanner and not the keyboard, and some sort of javascript on the page
    itself to interpret that input and place it in the correct text box.

    If anyone has any suggestions/prior experience, our help would be
    greatly appreciated!

    Thanks,

    Matt Mehalso

    mehalso, Jan 22, 2007

  2. mehalso

    Lew Guest

    As given to an application by the O.S., barcode input looks just like keyboard
    input.

    You could compare input to a regex for barcode patterns, so that on a match
    focus is shifted to the correct input. A user typing input that matches would
    also have focus shifted.

    - Lew

    Lew, Jan 22, 2007