    Enterprise from Component One which has a lot of very interesting looking
    controls. But mainly interested in grid controls.

    Thanks, Rob.

    Rob Nicholson, Jan 24, 2005

  2. Rob Nicholson

    Mike Ryan Guest

    Rob,

    You might want to check out Infragistics--I think a lot of folks would
    vote for their grid (though all third-party components seem to have
    their share of drawbacks).

    Or write your own. Either way, an adventure sure to thrill. ;)

    - Mike

    Mike Ryan, Jan 24, 2005

  3. Hi Rob,

    The too post-back intensive of the asp.net grid control is due to the
    fundamental of the web application (such as asp.net, asp , jsp...). In web
    page since the clientside use webbrowser to retrieve page from remote site
    and display locally, there is no persistent connection between client and
    server, all communication is stateless request/response based. So generally
    it's hard to make stateful interactive UI like those in winform(desktop
    app). However, asp.net provide a rich form/control based programming
    framework which make the web page development much eaiser and structural,
    but this is done by hidden the underlying stateless request/response, so
    we'll see that most of the asp.net powerful controls such as datagrid,
    calendar, need to do postback to maintain the status. Also, we can use much
    more clientside scripts or browser supported behaviors to make the
    clientside UI more powerful(and there does exists some 3rd party controls
    providing such fucntions), but this'll make the application too dependent
    on the clientside enviorment, and too "POWERFUL' client side behavior(
    except those that use activex or hosted winform control) is consided not
    very stable. So generally the compatibility will be the most important
    point for web application.

    If there're any further questions or ideas, please feel free to post here.
    Thanks.

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Jan 25, 2005
  4. You might want to check out Infragistics--I think a lot of folks would
    Would you care to elaborate?
    Considered that :) We've used VS FlexGrid Pro in our VB applications which
    is a good grid but we end up with a wrapper around it that's probably almost
    as big as the control itself.

    Cheers, Rob.

    Rob Nicholson, Jan 25, 2005
  5. The too post-back intensive of the asp.net grid control is due to the
    I know, that's why I'm both a fan and non-fan of web apps :) IT support for
    clients want zero-footprint installation and users want easy remote access.
    We want to write neat applications. This is often at odds with functionality
    requirements.
    We're tempted to go down that route - a collection of ActiveX controls or in
    fact one *huge* ActiveX control which will cover the entire IE screen but
    still keep server back end functions like Crystal Reports. On some of our
    complex applications, the inherent simplicity of the web page interface is
    too limiting.

    Cheers, Rob.

    Rob Nicholson, Jan 25, 2005
  6. Hi Rob,

    En, Activex controls is an approach though it still depends on the client's
    security setting especiall on those xp box which installed the sp2.
    Anyway, "zero-footprint installation" and "poweful client side functions"
    always conflict with each other, and always make the b/s based application
    developers aheadache.

    BTW, what about .net's smart client? Though that'll rely on the net
    framework , but it really make it easier for us to publish our app through
    internet and make full use of the clientside machine's local resources.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Jan 26, 2005
  7. Anyway, "zero-footprint installation" and "poweful client side functions"

    Which is the catch 22 isn't it :)
    We're keeping an eye on that technology for the future but it's not quite
    there yet in terms of acceptance by IT departments.

    Cheers, Rob.

    Rob Nicholson, Jan 26, 2005
  8. You might want to check out Infragistics--I think a lot of folks would
    I've downloaded the trial version of this and had a look at the control set.
    Pretty impressive at first glance. Therefore are several other controls in
    the package that are also of direct interest like the tab control and the
    calendar functions. For the price, it looks great value.

    Cheers, Rob.

    Rob Nicholson, Jan 26, 2005
  9. Rob Nicholson

    Mike Ryan Guest

    Rob,

    I think that companies want to make their products look as easy to use
    as possible so often their demos and sample code don't translate well to
    real-world implementation, which can make our lives more difficult.

    Also, I often find that third-party controls force a particular way of
    doing things, which may be impractical when combined with my first point
    above.

    It would take me years to duplicate all the functionality of that grid.
    They've done a great job and it seems to be the most feature-rich among
    those I evaluated. It just feels very brittle, though, as if somebody
    could throw the JavaScript switch in their browser at any time and bring
    the whole thing crashing down (but I suppose that's what we accept when
    clients expect Windows-style features in Web applications!).

    Obviously I'm using the Web version. From your other post I think you
    may be using WinForms, so only some of the above concerns would apply.

    Now that you've got the trial version, maybe consider prototyping one of
    your more complicated screens--I found that very useful during my
    evaluation.

    - Mike

    Mike Ryan, Jan 26, 2005
  10. Also, I often find that third-party controls force a particular way of
    That's what we found with VSFlexGrid Pro.
    I'm sure not year :)
    I understand that - web applications always feel flaky to me. I always have
    a heart skip moment after filling in a huge form and pressing SUBMIT. The
    page not found error is too frequent!
    We'll be using the web version but in the past we've used windows clients
    and 3rd party controls.
    I'm hoping to try and us it when putting together the mockup/design
    document. That will allow me to try a few real-life tests.

    Cheers, Rob.

    Rob Nicholson, Jan 26, 2005
  11. Thanks Rob,

    Wish you good luck!