Beginner help/direction

michael engel

I just finished reading Chris Pine's "Learn to program" with ruby, and am
wondering if you wonderful folks could point me in the right direction to
continue my education. The book is fairly basic, and I need more exposure to
ruby. I have the "pickaxe" book, but if anyone could offer any help or
ideas, it would be much appreciated.
P.S. I hope this isn't off topic ;)

Tom Cloyd

michael said:
I just finished reading Chris Pine's "Learn to program" with ruby, and am
wondering if you wonderful folks could point me in the right direction to
continue my education. The book is fairly basic, and I need more exposure to
ruby. I have the "pickaxe" book, but if anyone could offer any help or
ideas, it would be much appreciated.
P.S. I hope this isn't off topic ;)
Well, as a perpetual beginner, and someone with never enough time, I
fall back on just-in-time learning (and this list!). With Thomas' fine
book (3rd ed., I presume), all you need is a serious project -
preferably some program you could really USE (thus supplying you with
plentiful motivation). Then start facing the problems and writing code.
Believe me, you'll learn a lot, but not stuff you don't need and won't
likely use.

Also, become friends with the ruby-debug gem (but it doesn't yet work in
ruby1.9 - grrrr.)

Just my small thoughts, but that's how I work.

t.

Bellingham, Washington, U.S.A: (360) 920-1226
<< (e-mail address removed) >> (email)
<< TomCloyd.com >> (website)

Andriy Hnativ

"The Ruby Programming Language" by David Flanagan, Yukihiro Matsumoto is
probably the best Ruby book I've read (and I've read quite a lot of them
:)). It has both basic and advanced staff in it.

Andriy

Robert Klemme

2009/5/13 Andriy Hnativ said:
"The Ruby Programming Language" by David Flanagan, Yukihiro Matsumoto is
probably the best Ruby book I've read (and I've read quite a lot of them
:)). It has both basic and advanced staff in it.

And then there's of course David's new book:
http://manning.com/black2/

Cheers

robert

Daniel Roux

michael said:
I just finished reading Chris Pine's "Learn to program" with ruby, and am
wondering if you wonderful folks could point me in the right direction to
continue my education. The book is fairly basic, and I need more exposure to
ruby. I have the "pickaxe" book, but if anyone could offer any help or
ideas, it would be much appreciated.
P.S. I hope this isn't off topic ;)
I also recommend "The Ruby Programming Language", it's the best book
I've read about Ruby, "Matz", Yukihiro Matsumoto writes in it. In my
case it was the perfect _second_ book for learning Ruby, because it
answered many questions that as a beginner i would never had thought of.

You could read "Programming Ruby" first, which could give you a solid
base in the language, as i did, and then grab "The Ruby Programming
Language".