Beginner: Installing Perl Program

Tomi Häsä

I installed Perl (ActivePerl 5.8.6 Build 811) for Windows 2000 to
directory C:\Perl. I think Perl was installed succesfully, because I
can execute the test program:

C:\Perl\eg>perl example.pl
Hello from ActivePerl!

But when I try to install MIME-tools 6.110 (needs Perl), I get the
following:

C:\mimetools\MIME-tools-6.200_02>perl Makefile.PL
Checking if your kit is complete...
Looks good
Warning: prerequisite IO::Stringy 1.211 not found.
Warning: prerequisite Mail::Field 1.05 not found.
Warning: prerequisite Mail::Header 1.01 not found.
Warning: prerequisite Mail::Internet 1.0203 not found.
Warning: prerequisite Unicode::Map 0.112 not found.
Writing Makefile for MIME-tools

C:\mimetools\MIME-tools-6.200_02>make test
make.exe: *** No rule to make target `C:\Perl\lib^', needed by
`Makefile'. Stop.

C:\MIMETO~1\MIME-T~1.200>make install
make.exe: *** No rule to make target `C:\Perl\lib^', needed by
`Makefile'. Stop.

Here's the Makefile.PL:

--->---------------------------------------->---
#!/usr/bin/perl
use ExtUtils::MakeMaker;
WriteMakefile(
NAME => "MIME-tools",
VERSION => "6.200_02",
# VERSION_FROM => "lib/MIME/Tools.pm",
PREREQ_PM => {"Mail::Header" => 1.01,
"Mail::Internet" => 1.0203,
"Mail::Field" => 1.05,

"MIME::QuotedPrint" => 2.03,
"MIME::Base64" => 2.04,
"IO::Stringy" => 1.211,
"File::Spec" => 0.6,
"File::path" => 1,
"Unicode::String" => 2.06,
"Unicode::Map" => 0.112,
},
'dist' => {
# PREOP =>"cvu_perl_preop -B -f -m MIME::Tools",
PREOP => "pod2text lib/MIME/Tools.pm >! README",
COMPRESS =>'gzip',
SUFFIX =>'gz',
},
);
---<----------------------------------------<---

A. Sinan Unur

I installed Perl (ActivePerl 5.8.6 Build 811) for Windows 2000 to
directory C:\Perl. I think Perl was installed succesfully, because I
can execute the test program:

C:\Perl\eg>perl example.pl
Hello from ActivePerl!

But when I try to install MIME-tools 6.110 (needs Perl), I get the
following:

If you are using ActiveState Perl, you should use ppm to search for and
install packages. That way, you don't have to have a compiler compatible
with the one that was used to compile ActiveState's distribution.

Please look in the "ActiveState Perl" program group, accessible through
the Start -> Programs menu. There are links to documentation, and the
ppm shell in there.

ppm will automatically download and install any prerequisites as well.

Sinan