bindings/wrapper: how to?

John Joyce

Any tips or resources for creating a wrapper or bindings in Ruby to
an existing C library?
How does one go about this correctly?

John Joyce

SWIG may be the way to go.
I'm learning Allegro at the moment and thinking how much less work it
would be to type it in Ruby...
I've seen some people have done some Perl SWIGging with Allegro.
But I've got a bit too much going on to learn SWIG at the moment. I
just want to find out what I may be facing.

Tim Hunter

John said:
SWIG may be the way to go.
I'm learning Allegro at the moment and thinking how much less work it
would be to type it in Ruby...
I've seen some people have done some Perl SWIGging with Allegro.
But I've got a bit too much going on to learn SWIG at the moment. I just
want to find out what I may be facing.

The Pickaxe has an excellent chapter on extending Ruby, or you can read
the README.EXT that comes with the Ruby source files.